I finally saw Victor Wooten!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Hey everybody!

well, i got to see bela fleck & the flecktones last night in stevens point, and I am impressed! Victor Wooten has got to be one of the best bassists around...i know thats just my opinion, but from what i got at the show, he can really play any style and play it well!
    anyways, i thought the show was great. i wish they would have played all night.

by the way, does bela fleck & the flecktones have a live cd out? i know vic has one out, but what about bela fleck?

2. Basho

Basho Guest

Yeah, it's pretty impressive to see Vic live.

To answer your question, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones have released two live CDs:

Live Art, a two-disc set from the period in the early-mid nineties after Howard Levy left but before Jeff Coffin joined the group. It includes a lot of the 'Tones playing with guests and a few songs with just the three (Vic, Future Man, and Bela). It also includes a solo spot by Vic where he plays some improv and then Amazing Grace.

Live at the Quick is a DVD/CD recorded at the Quick Centre for the Performing Arts. For this show they got a heap of the guests that were on the Outbound album, including but not limited to Andy Narell, Paul McCandless, Sandip Burman, etc.

Both shopuld be available in your local music store, or you could order them off the 'net.
  3. Jeff Coffin's the man.

His Goatee rules.(I sure hope I'm talking about the right person :p )
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yea, Jeff Cofin is pretty cool. He gave my wife a pep talk to return to playing flute.

But anyway. Bele and the Flecktones do put on a great show.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, they're good...
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Damn...never even knew about the gig...and I only live a half hour from Point. Ugh!
  7. I've seen them four times, and I'm probably seeing them again this Thursday. Each show was more incredible than the last. They're just an amzing band to see live. You can't even tell how good they are from the recordings. The one thing I'm kind of getting sick of is that synth axe drumitar that Futureman uses. It just sounds kind of crappy.
  8. It was my first concert with them. Completely amazing and humbling experience. If you think you're a great bass guitarist, go to one of their concerts to give your ego a needed 'tune up'. All of them, are great musicians, but of course, I was there to see Vic. Fabulous stuff coming from his bass guitars. He did a solo verson of 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' and the technique and theory used was nearly mind blowing.

Best thing about the show, besides the exemplary music, was the humor involved. Many funny happenings that night.

Definitely going to see them next time they come to my town.
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Ravinia show was good...but did you see the solo show at Joe's on Weed street in '02?

I was one person away from the stage and the guy next to me took a poll to see how many people up front played bass... Except for one or two drummers the twenty or so folks he asked were all bassists...

I think Vic even asked the crowd..."Any Bass Players in the house?" and then laughed.

As far as I'm concerned the Bela Fleck show was great but Vic's solo shows (I've seen two now) are beyond awesome (but Reggie's guitar tone gets to me after a while).
  10. I have to say, with ALL due respect, I don't like it when Reggie does the thumb technique on that strat. Most of the time, it sounds like a lot of noise. Now, on the Live At Bass Day video, he did a nice song using hammering techniques :smug: , . . . . . just before going into the thumb/slap thing. :meh:

Actually, I think I liked Otel Burbridge (sp?) the best on that video. :bag:
  11. Jazzany

Oct 18, 2003
    On that Bassday '98 video Reggie's cheap crap strat was even buzzing. Horrible!! Why doesn't he get rid of it. His musicianship is out of this world (I have some of his recordings - and....well, mind blowing stuff - not much tapping/slapping, either), but his choice of instrument is a great example of how you get what you pay for. When I get rich I'll commission a Reggie Wooten custom guitar for his birthday - he needs it!!!
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Carvin should butt in and endorse him with some custom strats.

talk about good exposure...
  13. Yeah, one would think that he could get an endorsement for a better quality guitar. . . . . . . . . or that he could afford a better quality guitar. A better LOOKING guitar would be better for him too. That is an bad sounding, esthetically unappealing guitar. Japanese Fender may be good for beginners, but he needs to step up to an 'adult' guitar. :meh:
  14. Jazzany

Oct 18, 2003
    Maybe he's trying to prove that great wonders can be done on a Cheapero! The Cheapero is robbing those 'Great Wonders' Reggie, send it to the butcher shop. Victor credits him with putting some nice chops in his hands, I wish to hear him credit Victor for convincing him to put a decent guitar in his hands. I mean Vic plays the best basses, and oddly as that may seem to Reggie, it does alot to his performance...oh yes, esthetically too!
  15. Jazzany

Oct 18, 2003
    We should all take a page from Victor. The man is forever in player mode, outfit, and all. IMHO, the best thing to happen to the electric bass, period! And I'm coming from the point of view of innovative approach, support/sharing, lifestyle (ain't no druggy, great self confidence, humble), hard working, insightful, and you're always guaranteed 100% on stage. The man is a pure embassador who have made us love bass all over again.... and go back to the wood shed. Bass players have never been prouder! I'm just loving it!!
  16. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Heavy bro!! Pass the roach!!!

17. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    joking of course,, hehe.