Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I HATE my Pod!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    So I've had a PodXT for about a year now, and am seriously beginning to hate it. The clean sounds are fine, but anything with distortion on it, no matter how slight, just disappears in the mix. Ugh!! I've tried everything; EQs, cab swaps, mic placement... everything just sounds so thin when mixed in with everything else.

I'm considering selling it and getting some other direct recording device (it's for guitar, by the way). I used to own a Boogie Recto Directo, and that was awesome, but a little limited and kinda pricey. Anybody have any experience recording with a Roland VG-88? Does it dissappear in the mix as well? I am feeling a little skeptical about the digital modeling thing at this point - I've had much better results recording the direct out of my Boogie VTwin (another good sounding, but limited, device). Any suggestions to get some good distorted guitar tracks to tape?

I'm using a ProTools MBox, by the way.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Right there with you bro...

POD ==> Trash Can!

3. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I just got rid of my Pod Pro for the same reasons and went with a Demeter HBP-1 :D

What the hell was I thinking when i purchased the Pod :confused:

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Isn't the Demeter a bass pre? I need something for guitar.

I don't to buy alot of gear just to get a good guitar sound to tape. The POD was convenient for that kind of thing, but it just isn't cutting it. I may have to go the VG-88 route.:rolleyes:

5. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    How are you going in to your sound card? Before you dump the POD, try using it's SPDIF outs to your sound card (assuming your card has a SPDIF in port)

I have the Behringer BassVamp Pro, and the direct digital signal sounds a heck-of-a-lot better than going direct with my analogue SansAmp BDDI.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None

Avalon U5. It smokes for recording almost anything!

7. JES

JES Supporting Member

Don't mean to "blame the victim" but I've gotten some very usable sounds out of the pod. Not even pro or XT. Just pod.

Another trick I've found that works nicely is to turn off the cab emulator and use it as a preamp, run it through an amp, mic it, and voilla: a new sound.

NOTE: I have a regular POD but record a piccolo bass through it, not a guitar per se.

Best,
    --JES

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    theres a guy here in town that does recording and uses the pod for all of the guitar tracks...sounds amazing..it just takes some time i guess

ill trade ya my sabine rack tuner for it

steve

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've had a Roland VG8 for years. never disappears in the mix. and tons of free patches available.

i loved it sooooo much, i bought the VBass. with my opticals driving the system rather than the GK2B, i'm in heaven!

can't recommend the V-Instruments enough.

fred

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If anyone wants to let me borrow a POD, i'll record some clips and post them on www.basstasters.com.

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Thank you! A real answer. I am probably going to pick up the VG-88.

12. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I totally agree, I bought a pod pro a year ago.
    First month, woaw it sounds great because it's a pod, next months, it's crappy it even has no tube, then , I realized it is a great tool of versatility and quality for recording.

It is certainly not a plug n play device, but for guys who like knobs, it rules !

13. JES

JES Supporting Member

A couple thoughts:

1. I forgot to mention that the Pod (and every other direct recording device) does FEEL different from a cranked amp, and that does drive some people batty.

2. Pre-pod, I used an SWR Interstellar Overdrive as a distortion and direct recording device. limited range of sounds, but sounded AWESOME. Probably like the boogie.

Best,
    --JES

14. I can relate to what you are saying here... I " HAD" a pod too, but it was a Line 6 Bass Pod Pro rack mount system. I dunno, I always thought that MORE was better, but I'm going back to more simplicity now. Just to let you know, this Bass Pod Pro had at least 15 different "modeled" cabinet sounds and and 15 diff. "modeled" amp sounds. Add to this all kinds of weird **** like synthesizer and ring modulation effects.
    And I could never, ever get all this "cool" stuff that sounded great when by myself to really mix right on a consistant basis with the other instruments.

Personally, I believe when in LIVE applications, you had better have a real good sound ENGINEER who actually is CONTROLLING your sound , because it's just daunting to make all this stuff work RIGHT all the time. However, when you're mixing a recording and you are in this type of controlled environment where as you have the time to "tweek" and re-do it over and over, THEN it's much better.

Yes, I've succumed to being just a good in-the-pocket bass player who tries his best to focus on tone. I now leave all the "weird" stuff to the guitar players... and what a relief THAT is !