1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a problem with cover/tribute bands.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by T-Forty, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I have a problem with cover/tribute bands.

I am in a new band who needs a guitarist to complete the line up and I feel as though we've exhausted every way to look for one. I go through online ads looking for a guitarist and for every 5 or so ads for a cover/tribute band there might be one actual musician/writer looking for a band.

This is me venting. Cover bands are worthless. Write your own music.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Sounds like a personal problem to me.

3. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I get what you say. But as writing music with people is so difficult and so few people want to do it, I gave up and now I play in cover bands. It is better than not playing and it may one day become an original music band.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    People like being 'payed'. Cover bands get payed.

5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    LOL...yer funny, everything has its' place & purpose. If you don't understand the hows & whys you have a lot of growing to do. In other words, get over it. ;)

6. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    T-40's are worthless. It is a well known fact that you can't take an old bass like that and do original music. That type of effort puts the planets in misalignment, interrupts the karma, and tries to put Ontario in Canada when everyone knows the real one is in California.

You are defeated from the git go. Give it up.

You need:help:

7. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    If "cover bands are worthless" how do you regard orchestras? How about Jimi Henrix' cover of All Along the Watchtower? Grow up.

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If you play one of your original songs more than once, are you covering your own band? Yeah, think about it.

9. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    love this thread

10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Yep, exactly. Cover/tribute bands earn money. Musicians who like to earn money play in them. Good luck with your originals band. No, really.

11. Everyone knows if you want to make money playing music, you play in a cover band. It may actually become your job at some point.

If you want to have fun and play original music, plan on being poor.

I'm sorry, but playing to the same crowds every week, week after week doesn't excite me. Not at this point in my life. I hate bars in general though.

12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    LOL

That's YOUR opinion.

Got a newsflash for ya - Most "original" music not only sucks, it's not very original.

I do the cover/tribute thing and I'm having a ball playing huge gigs for great money.

And you are doing what?

13. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    I enjoy playing in front of large crowds wanting to party and get payed well for it by the end of the night.

My friends band is one of the top in our area. They play party cover tunes and throw in their originals once in a while. Works well for them.

Some people may laugh at cover bands but in reality they play often, play at a wider variety of venues, get good crowds, and get paid well.

If you end up hitting it big with your originals then that's a different story. I like how my friends band does both.

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Appears he's b**ching because he can't find a guitarist who is willing to play his originals.

Personal experience here around Nashville... show me an artist with original material who can't find musicians to work with and it's one of two things. 1. the originals are not good. 2. the person is a flake and is trying to find new lab rats.
    Or a combination of both in many cases.

15. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I have a problem with Canadians.

I am in a new American band who needs a guitarist to complete the line up and I feel as though we've exhausted every way to look for one. I go through online ads looking for a guitarist and for every 5 or so ads for a Canadian band there might be one actual American looking for a band.

This is me venting. Canadians are worthless. Be American.

LOL the above is purely in jest.

16. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Its not just in Nashville, and IMO it's almost always both!

17. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Excellent. I LOLed. Thanks man.

18. So basically if a musician isn't what you are looking for they are worthless.....k, got it. Some of us have bills to pay ya know.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm going out, playing four sets of music, having a blast, drinking free beer, and basking in the adulation of a couple hundred loyal fans tonight and tomorrow night. Oh yeah, I'll bring home home a couple of Benjamin's, and get to share the stage with some very accomplished musicians (My guitar player ROCKS!).

Oh BTW, we do play a couple original tunes people could care less about, but they are so into the show, that they tolerate that too.

Good luck with your "project". :D

20. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.