1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have no reason to post here....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CaptObvious, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ....other than to say that I have been playing for only six months. I just played "Killing in the Name Of" by Rage all the way through for the first time. I was so excited I celebrated with a beer and had to show my wife.
    I had not played music before six months ago. Nothing. No guitar. I can't read music. I'm 45 now. I've loved learning to play bass. :smug:
    My "repertoire" (i.e. the only songs I can play completely) now is: Killing in the Name Of, Sunshine of Your Love, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Seven Nation Army. :hyper:
    And tomorrow a friend invited me to an open mic night! (Not nervous, at all)
    Thanks for listening.
    Dave

Baa, tonym, BakerStreetMuse and 5 others like this.
  2. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Congrats Bro!!!
    It's always satisfying to be able to play all the way through a song.

CaptObvious likes this.
  3. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Keep going!! I'm 56 and jammed with real people in December and then was invited to join some of the jammers to form a covers band. In February I did my first ever gig and yes I was very nervous. We've played a few more since then slowly building our song repertoire and now we're booked in September for a charity event where we'll be doing 2 forty minutes sets.

Its great fun, I enjoy every minute and makes me look forward more to retirement just so I can play and practice more.

CaptObvious likes this.
  4. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Good luck. Listen and watch everything, ask questions, have fun.

CaptObvious likes this.
  5. Congrats! :thumbsup:

I'm the same age as you and have been playing for about the same time with the same (lack of) experience, so I just had to post my congratulations as I know how utterly exciting it is. And we have some overlap in our repertoires. :D

Hope the open mic night went well! I am in admiration of your courage.

CaptObvious likes this.
  6. Open Mic was a success! We played three originals, so I wasn't too familiar, but I think I made out OK. The spectators were really great, and very encouraging. My band mates seemed to think I did alright so, I'm taking that as a win in my first "performance." Thanks everyone for the support!

bobomatic and BakerStreetMuse like this.
  7. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Good on you mate, keep going. Sounds like you’re having fun with it and that’s really cool.

CaptObvious likes this.