I have two. Should I buy a third?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bezo420, Jun 27, 2019.

1. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    The pedal in Question is the Electro Harmonix BassBalls. I have the old school NYC big box version and the black Russian version. I did a shootout at one point and they sounded identical (to me). I have the NYC version on my board for space reasons, because it's the smallest footprint. It's the only pedal I have had on every bass pedalboard I've ever used. I love it. I guess it's the simplicity of it, and the quirky fuzzy distortion switch that make it right for me. It was one of my first bass effects, and I don't see myself upgrading...

Until I came across the nano version for cheap. I have heard (usually with Big Muffs) that the nano versions sound just like the big box pedals. I could use the space on a crowded board. Should I get a third BassBalls? Also, to those who have done the EHX big box vs nano shootouts, how do the smaller pedals fare?

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Get it! If it fails the A/B test you might find the space savings more valuable anyway. If you pick it up from a chain store I'm sure youd have no problem returning it either.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Sure, buy the one you want, sell the others.:thumbsup:

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    3 is more than 2 and more is better than less.

Hit the Buy it Now button already.

Ryan L., Kevan Campbell and scottm like this.
  5. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    This is TalkBass. Like we are really going to say "No, don't buy it. You have enough."

6. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I have two OC-2 pedals. When I find a third in a local shop I will grab it without hesitation. Come to think of it, why stop at three?

charlie monroe likes this.
  7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Might have been mental, but I haven't liked the BB Nanos I've had as much as the big USA bois I've had (and still have)

8. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    I have four Tech21 Leeds pedals and I say go for it!

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. I wish EHX would release a nano with polished aluminum like the older NYC ones :)

And yes why not buy another? As previous posts have said you may save space for something else!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

bassbrad likes this.
  10. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    No, don't buy it. You have enough.

Bass law and Rev. Cornelius like this.
  11. I have two. Should I buy a third?

The real question should be, "is three going to be enough?"

jibreel, BrentSimons and Bo0tsy like this.
  12. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Two points:

1. What would happen if you had two of those three on your board and had the option of stacking each other like a guitarist?

2. I’m not going to say who but I have two of the exact same pedals from a popular pedal company, and both have had their footswitch die on my at shows after incredibly minimal usage (like one song per show or less over the course of a couple years). If I had a third one I could keep using that effect while the other two are being repaired.

13. i also have the habit of buying multiples of gear that i'm fond of.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Absolutely not. What would your significant other think if they knew you had 2 and were considering a 3rd?

I don’t really feel this way, in fact I’d already have the 3rd, but someone had to say it, right?

15. The Nano sound and feel very close but being analog once you start getting picky they all have variations. If you want smaller the Mooer Sweeper is a clone with the internal sweep controls outside. But once you tweak those sweep controls it ain't ever a stock BB anymore, still a sweet pedal but different.

I keep hoping EHX would do a sexy graphic version or even a dual version of the Dr Q and BB.

16. Dr. Gonzo82

Dr. Gonzo82

Jul 19, 2008
    I own 2, the big NYC and the nano. I bought the NYC version many years ago and when i tried it, I hated it. Put it away for five years and when I tried it again, I still hated it.

Few years later again, I took it out again and tried distortion in front of it and that's when i fell in love with it.

To my ears the nano and the big one don't sound exactly the same, and I prefer the older one but it's not that different.

Try to get a used nano, it's small, doesn't cost a fortune and should you don't like it, you shouldn't lose a lot of money when selling it again and it's definitely more sturdy and better built than the NYC version.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021