1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Honestly Cant Stand Playing A Rick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Deacon, Feb 21, 2008.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I played my first one today. Right off the bat it was extremely uncomfortable to play. I hated the neck. I just couldnt get used to the neck. The pickup guard was in the way of me playing. I put it up after about a minute of fiddling with it. I can honestly say know, that I will NEVER own a Rick. They are overpriced and overrated. Anybody feel the same way?

2. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    I agree, but they are beautiful.

3. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    they are kinda awkward, i'd like to play one in the studio but i don't know if i could get used to them live.

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I don't like playing 'em much either, but I'm not going to say they're overrated. I'm sure the people who like them have their reasons (everything's subjective after all) and they do sound good IMO.

5. BigKahuna13

BigKahuna13

Nov 21, 2004
    LI New York
    Nope. Have played one for 30 years. I'll be buried with it.

6. I strongly recommend that you don't play Rics!

7. I love the tone but really never liked the way they played.

8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I got to play one once and it only made me want one more. It was a '71 4001. It played and sounded like a million bucks. The recent price hike is too much, though.

9. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i played one recently and must say i loved it.

i walked away and was like, i must have this.

i wont have it for a long time if anything

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Trust me, a lot of people feel your way. I honestly think some people don't give it a fair shot. Sure it's your opinion and habits that make you not like the bass, but I first thought it was uncomfortable as well. After a while you get used to it and the pickup cover is rarely in my way, i actually use it as a wrist rest. They aren't overpriced and overrated though, they are truly an awesome sounding bass-- just check out my myspace and hear for yourself.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I played on a while in '78. Loved it. Wouldn't buy one, though. Around here, their thief-bait.

12. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I really dont like the way they sound either. But in all fairness, if the price wasnt so bad, I wouldve given them more of a shot. But its just not for me.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Well it's your opinion, but many others love the sound as you can see for yourself on Best Selling bass on Musician Friend's right now.

(edit: Well a discounted SG is best selling bass atm, but that's only cause it's on sale ;P)

14. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    I love it:eek: first I thought it was a guitar hahah. But then the low end came in.

I want one so bad.

15. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Exactly, just my opinion. If you like them, more power to you.

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Save up, they're quite expensive now. Got mine for 1,300 in 2006. Worth every penny.

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I generally don't like the way Fenders feel, play or sound.....so what. I just don't play 'em.....what's your point? Rics are overrated and overpriced to you yet you state it like it is an absolute. Great bashing thread.:rolleyes::spit:

18. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    different ppl different opinion. we should just go with wat we hear nice, and feels nice to play with. diff ppl have different taste. just like choosing gals.... some ppl like this, some ppl like that. but one thing the same, we guys goes for the same reason... ahem ahem... u know wat... hahhaha... just like bass, it is all bout the groove!

19. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I only played one once, and it had this chrome bar over the strings. It covered where I usually play on the bass, so I can't really say one way or the other without trying one again, which I would like to do very much.

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    ive always loved the way they looked, and ive heard some great sounding vintage ones (the bass player in my dads band had a real nice 70s one) but ive only ever played a new one and have never found them confortable nor was i able to dial up a tone i liked.