1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I know... another p-bass thread...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smgleitch, Jul 21, 2012.

1. smgleitch

smgleitch

May 19, 2009
    Napoleon, OH
    So real quick. I played on a older Fender P-Bass today at a jam and for as much as I have fought to not buy one I think it is just going to have to happen. Now I have always said that a good Squier is as good as a American made Fender, but... So here is my question.

If you are in the market for a new or used P-Bass and you are only going to buy one, would you spend the extra and get the American or just go with the Mexi or Squier. I figure I could spend up to $1000 without the wife having a complete conniption but never really like to spend more than necessary. As well are there different levels of American made P-Basses? Finally if I buy used are there better years than others taking into account my budget.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have bought brand new Precisions 10 years apart. Both are American Standards. Still have both. The new American Fenders are especially nice. Just make the investment and get it in your hands.

That way, you won't be wondering, you'll be knowing.

3. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    There I a guy on here in the classifieds selling a g&l sb1. Same as a p bass for around 650, I think. Killer price on a killer bass.

4. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I would go with an MIJ bass if possible. The Fender 70s P bass was made in japan until very recently, but you might be able to find an MIJ if you look around.

5. The MIM's made in the last few years are actually very good instruments, some say they are also more consistant in this quality than MIAs. Dont know if thats true, but most of the MIMs ive played have been quite good and well worth the money. So much so that i couldnt really justify buying an MIA when the MIMs were made well enough to do the job just fine.

6. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I just bought a 2012 American Standard P-Pass 4 string two weeks ago. Candy cola with maple fretboard. I ordered from Guitar center online - It came setup perfectly out of the box - Nice.

7. I would try different ones. They don't all have the same necks, some are wide and flat, some are rounder and thicker front to back. You may prefer one type over another. Personally of the P bass necks out there I think the American Specials are really nice. They're thin front to back and not too wide. The MIA and MIM Standards to me are too thick. Personal preference.

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    As others have said there are tons of choices. Personally I would go with a used US pbass (2008 or newer) or any mij model.

9. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    What's the old saying? "betcha can't have just one". Good luck, p-basses are awesome!

10. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Buy the one that feels, plays and sounds best to YOU. Doesn't matter which vintage, model or country.

11. smgleitch

smgleitch

May 19, 2009
    Napoleon, OH
    So i guess I should just put the money in the bank and start playing until I find one that speaks to me and I can afford. O.K. I can do that.

One more though. I was in GC for like five minutes tonight and looked at the top row where the american series are hanging and noticed two basses and with two different prices. The cheaper had a standard bridge and the more expensive has a badass style bridge. Any other difference between those two models?

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you are going to go MIM, I wouldn't look at any other models besides the Roadworn or Classic series. It's debateable that they are just as good as American Standards but I think they are certainly a step above the MIM standards and are an excellent value. If I had the funds at my disposal and knew what I know now about the entire Fender line, I would have bought an American Stanard or AVRI 62 right off the bat. If you can, do.

13. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    There's a lot of good ones out there, so it's best to take your time to compare and see which is best for you.

I bought a used Squire P bass about 3 years ago and it plays really good. I bought an MIJ P bass about 3 months ago and I absolutly love it. It's light, plays like a dream and has some serious kick to it. Not too long ago I tried a new AM STD P bass that was a real nice player. But then I also tried a MIM Standard P that REALLY played nice! So nice that I was very tempted to pick it up! I played some other MIM's that did nothing for me, but this one in particular was exceptional.

Again, lot's of choice so don't be in a hurry.

14. Bongokid

Bongokid

Sep 28, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Get a vintage one!

15. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i
    this, BUT i tell ya i just bought a MIM jazz 2012 antigua and it is extremely nice!! i love it. maybe save yourself a few buck and get a darn good MIM.....
    i have a MIA P, and J 2012....both are great too.....but the MIM can hold its one easily against both of them.....

16. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    MIM is the best "bang-for-the-buck," if you don't compare too closely...

I bought a USA P Special a year ago, and it's a winner! Although I don't care much for the so-called "grease-bucket" tone control...

In '06 (when I had money!!) I bought Precisions made in USA, Mexico, Korea and China... Kept the USA 60th Anniversary Butterscotch Blonde P, which also has a special push-button volume control... I like the newer P Special better, and now have the Blonde up for sale...

Best advice is to play a bunch through your amp (or the same model) and pick the one that sounds and feels the best!

17. Best thing to do.

Find which flavor of P you like:

Neck width?
    P/J?
    What Radius?
    5er?
    Neck reinforcement to prevent dead spots?
    Active?

Then search your options of what matches and decide on how much you are willing to spend then.

18. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I know it ain't a but I'd go with a squier 70's jazz

19. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    P

20. New I’d play every one I could get my hands on and buy the one that sounded, played and felt best.

Check the used market, you can find a MIA for around the same price as a new MIM, for a bit more you can find some of the MIA special models like the ’57 or 50th anniversary.

MM