1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I...like... a..bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickenbaker, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    I never thought I would say this but I have actually like a bongo. The looks turned me off but now I like them, and I'm sure once I get one I will love the shape, but there is one question that is still on my mind. Can the bongo get a thumpy sound? not necceserai;y warm but deep low end

2. bump the bass and low mids on the bongo eq and turn down the treble a bit (os use dead strings) and you have pure bass thump. bumpin and thumpin all night. I love bongos.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Rickenbaker - have you had a chance to play one?

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The Bongo is truly amazing. It can get practically any sound you can imagine. Between its EQ and your amp, there's nothing it can't deliver.

5. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    no but I'm planing my next trip to guitar center and I want to know what I'm in for

6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Yes you can. I <3 Bongo 4 band EQ

7. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Thumpy? You talkin' to ME?

Absolutely. I have been playing the last four years with a kind of wise-ass rockabilly band and I am all about the thump.

Yeah.

8. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Bongo rocks!

If anyone has a spare one going free, PM me.

9. You'll get over it. :bag:

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I used to own a Bongo. The B string on it was the most massive B string I've ever heard. It was devastating.

Thumpy? Yep, it'll do that.

11. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    I played a Bongo and I was pleasanlty surprised. I like the feel and the shape is cool. I am saving up for a Les Paul g***ar right now, but a Bongo could be my next bass. And I thought I swore off GAS!!!!

12. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I wanted to get a Ray 5 string, but when I tried a Bongo, I was sold. The body is super comfy on me, the neck is great. The range of tones is incredible. And the B string is great for a 34 inch scale bass. I have a HH Stealth 5 string.

The key to a Bongo is to use the EQ, something a LOT of bass players struggle with....:smug:

I play in situations where I often have to use a house rig, and all that EQ on board is wunderbar!

13. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I felt the same way. Hated the shape, blah blah blah..

I now own a 4HH and its great. Gets every tone you want. One of the best production basses around.

14. HS style pickup arrangements are my favorite.

The Bongo HS is my most favorite sounding bass i've ever played. Its low end is SO thick but tight too. It just seemed so ideal. I could play incredible sounding motown thump music, but as thick as it was, it was clean and precise enough for slap tone as well.

If I ever finally get a custom bass made I'm gonna say "I want it to sound like a Bongo"

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Flats for extra thump:smug:

16. Let's not get carried away, now.

17. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It certainly gets every tone I want.

18. That's more like it.

19. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    [​IMG]

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They can thump all night if you want them too!