Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I like the ashdowns!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dontbesobassist, Mar 1, 2006.

1. I'm currently searching for the perfect bass amp that I can use for my new metal band while still satisfying my very restricted wallet. The MAG and ABM series ashdown bass amps, look great, and the bassist from system of a down seems to get a really great sound from them! Could you give me your views and experiences with ashdown amps (especially the MAG and ABM series). If you could recommend whether they would suit the "metal" genre then that would be great. Obviously there are many different sounds for metal, but pease humour me and all advice is appreciated.

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's subjective and up to you and your budget, when you ask us your going to get what we like which is usually what we have.
    BTW SOAD according to an interview with the guitarist, it's the guitarist playing bass on a lot of their recordings. What does he use?
    Ashdown is a good brand, if you like it go for it.

3. yeah thats true, but I'm not a pro bassist so everyones views and experiences help me out. I didn't know that. Interesting that Daron should play bass :meh: although the live sound is good, and the bassist definitely plays that ;)
    Yeah i like the sound and looks of the ashdowns. I'll have to keep researching though so I know what I'm getting. What are your thoughts/experiences with SWR's? I've found ther SWR working pro series at a good price and I know that some pro bassists use SWR's. Any comments? cheers

4. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    hey

i have bought myself new amp resently with a ashdown rpm-1 preamp. i also tested an abm 500evoII and a Ampeg svt4-pro.
    i really like the ashdown sound. its very full and punchy clean. i find the ashdown sound much fuller then the svt4 sound. also the abm 500evoII combo is really nice. certainly worth its money. warm + punchy, all you need :)

5. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    dont get a mag for metal, you cant get any "grit" sound unless you get abm. mag is just clean sounds

6. ahh i see. ill check out the ABM's then. saying that, I will have some effects as well so I can alter the sound abit. thanks for your advice so far.

7. I have a Mag 300 115 combo. I believe it's the same electronics as the head. I think it would be good for metal. I find mine has a smooth mellow sound. Sort of a 70's vibe. It's bassy with out being muddy. Their are alot of factors to contribute to your sound. The amp I would say is the one equipment that will most colour your sound, but Bass, Strings, Pick, type of cabinet 115 vs 410 all effect your sound as well.
    I would try as many amps and as many combinations of cabinets as you can to find your sound, bring your bass to try amps as well.
    I do recommend Ashdown best bang for the buck IMO.

8. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I had an C115 - EVO 300 and thatamp sounded great i bought because i got a good deal fro The Bass Place , but it was'nt my sound, but the ABM are really good for rock, i highly recommend Ashdown's ABM series.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    SWR is a good brand, not my taste but John Paul Jones is one of my Idols and he plays them. For Metal they may be a little clean.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ill go along with that as well.
    Ive used the MAG300 C-115 for two years playing all types of covers and it sounded great. Although you cant really get a dirty sound out of it a you can get a cheap SABDI copy for next to nothing and that will give you the extra grit.
    The ABM's are quite different sound wise to the MAG's. the EQ is different and they are a lot more punchy. I now have a ABM300 EVOII and its great but i prefer the MAG (maybe because im used to it)

11. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I play Metal & love my ABM Evo 500.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i plan on replacing my mag300 head with a fender bassman 300. the mag just doesn't have enough juice for my schroeder.

13. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I metal on the mag
    Have a distortion pedal though, but I like my bass clean as a whistle ;)

14. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I'm using a MAG 600R and I love the way it sounds. My Jazz Bass seems to growl just fine with this amp.

Cheers,
    Jim

15. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I have a MAG 300 and it sounds great, but it is fairly clean so I use a Big Muff Pi if I want grit.

16. ABM user here - love it! BIG sound, warm and punchy. I love the tube pre-amp stage and the power of the output.

The DI is nicely balanced, and the sound I have gotten in recording is awesome.

Highly recommend Ashdown!

17. i'm a ABM user.

of course go the ABM over the MAG.

18. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    Great value and clean sound.

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I own an ABM 500 EVO and a Mini 48 and Mini 15 cabinets!

I play mostly heavy rock, and also a bit of metal - I love the tone, versatility and portability of my rig. Previously owned a Trace Elliot AH500 with 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabinets.....similar sounding (although I believe the Ashdown is 'warmer') and way less prtable than than the Ashdown.

Don't think you'll go wrong with the ABM range!:bassist:

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Very happy with my MAG300 too. Been using it daily for 2 years now and seems very dependable. I
    The tone tends to be full, thick, just midway from vintage and modern. For the price, I consider it to be the perfect choice to get a wide range of tonal capabilities. But that's my own opinion.