1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love orchestra

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bigthemat, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Just finished playing with my school's Philharmonic Orchestra. We did Holst's Perfect Fool, premiered a Libby Larson piece for the Barlow Endowment, and we closed with Mahler 4.

Oh, and I was playing trumpet ;). So much fun sittin in the back blowing loud and proud.

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I love the sounds of the orchestra, however, I cannot play in them.

3. I JUST got home from my second row seat in the boston symphony hall ;)

4. TunaCaserole

TunaCaserole

Feb 13, 2008
    I prefer Chamber music but, a great Violin Concerto is awesome. If its not Baroque don't fix it!! :D

5. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City

undoubtedly one of, if not, the best halls. I miss boston. What did they play?

6. Samthebassist

Samthebassist

Jun 21, 2007
    Kansas City
    hey im on orchestra!!!!

Sick of always bein in the back tho...with all these rests and wut not.....seriously... measures upon measures of rests....

at least in jazz band..w/t u....they die...and there is like NO rests wutsoever...honestly..i have yet to have a few measure of rest....my hand gets tired....stupid electric upright..its got too thin of a neck...

:bassist::bassist:

7. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    yeah its work playing everything in jazz. That is my main gig, doing jazz in my combo. But I originally am a classical trumpeter, and it is so much fun blasting mahler.

8. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Beginning of the month I played the upright in the local high school's musical production of "Crazy For You" the Gershwin musical. Second year in a row I helped them out. Really rewarding working with the kids. This was the first many of them saw an upright and I got to introduce them to it with "Slap That Bass!" The director had me play the bass on stage during a couple practices to show the kid faking it on stage how it's done. Playing slap style and spinning the upright... I got a standing O'!

I talked with the music director and he is putting an upright on his wanted list from the Band Parents' Assoc.

9. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    After being a concert band guy all my life, I spent a couple years playing with a community orchestra (tuba, of course). Was a lot of fun. PLayed some real nice stuff. Different playing with strings. One highlight was a piece we played called Concerto Gross, in which my tuxedo'ed self put the tuba down, and stood in front of the orchestra as part of the kazoo trio. lol.