1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I may need help understanding my Bass Big Muff.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    The other day I was at my local shop buying my long saved-for, much sweated-over dream bass (fireglo Rick), and on a whim I got them to throw in a Bass Big Muff for very little extra scratch. I'm new to fuzz, and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I haven't figured out how to get a usable sound yet.

I was hoping for, i dunno, some kind of grindy biting fuzz... but i haven't been able to get much more than a kind of oversaturated swampy fart sound. So perhaps this is the wrong pedal for me, or, and this a distinct possibility, perhaps i have no idea how to use it.

Yes, yes, i did a search already, thanks. But here's what I'm wondering... is there any way to use this pedal and maintain some semblance of attack? I'm a pick guy, playing rounds on a Rick (and others basses but that's the main one now). Every time i click it on, no matter what tone or sustain setting i lose at least 90% of the attack. Might as well be using an ebow. Is there a trick to getting the knobs to work together? It seems like the tone knob at its higher settings cuts a significant amount of bass, which seems counterproductive. And i kept noticing weird volume drops... particularly in bass boost mode. Am i overloading the pedal somehow with too much input? And one last question... to use the dry setting, do you have to use both outputs? I switched over to DRY and couldn't get the knobs to make any change to the tone.

Any and all help is appreciated, please forgive my ignorance, i'm more familiar with overdrive and chorus/flange/delay stuff. If anyone could help explain how the controls interact i'll forever be in your debt. (previous searches revealed some sample settings which i plan to try, but i'd like to better understand it as a whole). Thank ya kindly.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I am a Rick player and a big muff user.
    You should be able to get a grindy tone for sure w/ a muff. The farther past 12:00 you push the tone knob, the thinner the sound gets...
    The bass boost mode is not on other big muff versions, so for a traditional muff sound, keep it off.

3rdworlder likes this.
  3. use the clean blend crank the sustain and tone and grind away ;>

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    And, the dry out is just that, no effect. The knobs won't do a thing.

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Yeah, that's what it seemed like. So... how do you use it in DRY mode? The instruction manual is decidedly vague. Can you only use dry mode if you're using both outputs? And if so... how does that work? My ashdown head only has one input, as do most bass amps.

I have a feeling being able to blend the clean and fuzz signals would work best (ala Sparkle Drive), but if it requires two outputs i can't see any use for it in a live setting.

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I've never used that pedal, but I'm pretty sure you're right about the dual outputs. It (that feature
    ) is designed to use with a two channel amp, a two amp setup or a stereo track while recording. Or any other application where you would send out two signals to two destinations.

However, the BBM has a blend feature, right? When the switch is in "mix" mode, or whatever it is, the tone control acts as a blend. Use the regular (not the dry) output.

Maybe you have an older Muff that doesn't have blend capabilities. I don't know for sure.

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    mine is brand new, and had just arrived that day from EHX so i assume it's as new as they get. looks just like this:

bass-big-muff-pi.

From the instructions:

So does this mean, when in DRY mode, you use the volume knob to turn up the level of the fuzz? That would make sense...

8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    basically yes

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's not very easy to troubleshoot through a forum, but as I re-read your post, it sounds as if your BBM might be defective. I would go back to the store and compare it to another unit.

Good luck.

10. Dry out is no effect, as in, the effect will not be sent to that output at all.

The dry blend has NOTHING to do with that output. It simply blends a set amount of your dry uneffected signal with the muff tone.

That means that increasing the volume might let you essentially select how dominant the fuzz tone is over the dry tone, but I know that the dry blend is a preset. Obviously if you have two signals going to two different amps, no matter how loud one is, if you turn the other one up enough then you you can achieve the same effect as turning the other one down, so in my head turning up the muffs volume should give you some relative level control of the blend.

11. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Success! i dug around and found a few TB users' sample settings... gave one a whirl and I've got some usable sounds... all using Dry mode. Thanks for the help guys, i didn't quite understand how everything worked at first. Now i've found a solid starting point I'm gonna tweak for a bit, but i'm on to some pretty good tones so far.

12. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I HATE the fact that they called it 'dry' mode and added a 'dry output' yet the two have no relationship. Talk about non-initiative.

13. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    non-intuitive, even! or just plain stupid. The Dry output is onlu useful if you're bi-amping. The Dry MODE is really a BLEND mode. Turn it up past 2 o'clock in dry mode and you'll have trouble finding a useable output level, but don't worry, you're unlikely to want to use that range in dry mode.

Normal mode fairly closely resembles the lower gain green russian muff. Bass boost takes you closer to some of the "tuned" muff clones that are popular on bass.

The BBM tone knob is powerful. It DOES cut bass when above 12 o'clock - this allows you to to emulate vintage recorded bass fuzz sounds (which often used bass sucking guitar fuzz pedals). Below 12 cuts the high end. The tonal range is thus REALLY wide for a single knob - but it can be a little fussy to use because of this.

Me likey bass big muff.

14. RippinKitten

RippinKitten

Feb 15, 2009
    Atlanta
    Yeah, and once you master the BBM, you have GOT to get the Stereo Electric Mistress and run it after the BBM. Wow... it was the perfect watery distortion tone with a bit of synth I was looking for.

15. I have seen this pedal on display like 20 times and I never would have guessed that it actually did have a blend. It doesn't say blend anywhere. I assumed that dry was the same as 'no boost.' Maybe I could have even saved money instead of buying a high-end 'tuned' muff just for that reason.

Though there is no question about it, everything I've played/heard running off the muff circuit seems to suffer a loss of attack, which is one of the key properties of the muffish sound.

16. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I haven't heard the Bass Big Muff yet, but I've always thought Muffs were on the "creamy" side of the fuzz spectrum, rather than grindy or gritty.