I need more motivation to play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nuclearrabbit17, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    I don't mean to brag but.... i'm the best bass player in my city and I consider that an accomplishment, and im pretty darn good. Been playing for 3 years and Im 17. But the problem is, I have no motivation anymore. I only play about 30 minutes a day. I think the problem is that i know I'm good and that theres no competition. Somebody tell me i suck!
  2. Heres my personal favorite motivation tool:

3. Why does a person who claims to be the best in the city not list his city in his profile..just a curious question. :)
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Seriously, if you think you are all that (and I'm not saying you are or aren't)... maybe you won, why not see if you can beat all the guitarists now.... or maybe the drummers

DUDE!!!! you could be like the King of One Man Bands!!!!!!!

So what discs of your's can I go by to check you out? DVD maybe... instructional vid? WHo do you tour with?
  5. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Playing bass, or any instrument for that matter, is not a competition. It is about emotion, desire to express oneself through music. If you are as good as you say, then use it in a positive way. Start giving lessons to people. Help them grow in to a better musicians. You will feel a lot better about yourself by giving rather trying to be the "almighty" bass player. A true musician never loses his/her passion for their instrument and will race to any opprotunity to express what they have learned.
  6. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    I live in fremont CA

This is all great stuff. keep it coming
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Are you really, absolutely and positively CERTAIN you are the very best bass player in your city? If so, a good way to increase your motivation would be to have a bass players' challenge at a local club, something like the playoff between the two guitarists in "CrossRoads."

This would be a great publicity stunt for yourself, other players and the club. Of course, there will need to be a prize...maybe just being confirmed as the true best bassist in your city would be enough, though.

Some parameters would need to be drawn, such as what is the definition of "best" bass player? Excellence in slapping, vast knowledge of chord structure, the ability to build a solid walking bassline on the spur of the moment, timing, creative soloing, tapping chops, the ability to play any music style drawn from a hat...such as reggae, salsa, country, gospel, blues, bop, heavy metal, punk, bluegrass, swing, etc.

As you do believe you are the best in your city, of course you will not have any age limit (young or old) on competitors and you will allow both professionals and amateurs to enter the competition. If you feel that you would not be sufficiently challenged, invite players from nearby locales to join as well.

This contest should get plenty of press and TV recognition. Winning it might give you the exposure you need to step up to studio work, a recording contract or an invitation to tour with a professional band.
  8. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Suck you do, yes. :rolleyes:

Best thing to do is buy new [or old] cd of some one that kicks ass [think BOOTSY, Ray Brown, Mike Watt, ect] or go to a show and see some bass player that kicks ass and after the show go up to the guy [or gal] turn around, bend over and say " will you PLEASE kick me."
  9. Try to play some Jaco solos or somethin like that
  10. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    :p :p :p

If you're only playing to show up others, maybe you should quit. Or, if you are so good, move to LA, NY, or Nashville and make some money.
  11. Boplicity

Enroll in a prestigious music school such as Berklee in Boston, the music school at The University of Miami, in Florida or Indiana University at Bloomington, Indiana or The Julliard School in New York City.

You will be blown away by the competition. Why? Because every city in America has at least one young bass player who believes he is the best in town. Put fifty of these talented musicians together in one spot, and things get really competitive, really fast.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I doubt you are anywhere as good as you think.
  13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've always heard, that the better you get, the more you realize you suck...apparently that hasn't struck you yet. You live in Fremont, and you're absolutely positive you're the best bassist around? Is the local GC the proving grounds or what?

...why aren't you in a band? Surely there must be SOME musicians in the bay area that can keep up with you...
  14. Boplicity

What are your actual strengths as a bass player? Is there no facet of your playing in need of attention? Can you play every style of music? Do you read music? Can you transcribe complicated, complex basslines? Maybe you should consider adding a double bass to your arsenal. That would certainly challenge you for awhile. Or consider playing a six string, seven string or fretless bass if you do not play them already.

Record some of your best work and upload it here at TalkBass so we can enjoy it. Maybe some people here have connections that they can use to get you work playing in bands.

The "best" player (if there is such a thing) would HAVE to include being the most proficient all around. That goes way beyond your technical ability. With your attitude, I'd bet no one wants to play with you. So how can you possibly the best bass player?

I've played with some amazing guitar players, but some of them were impossible to deal with and never progressed beyond their shredder bag of tricks. So to me, a less proficient guitarist that played what was appropriate and continued to grow would be the better guitar player.

You have a long way to go.

BTW; good troll post.
  16. Boplicity

Excuse me, I just read your profile and see that you do already play a six-string and do want a seven-string. I do notice, however, that you are not in a band.

Try to find a band as soon as possible. There is just no greater motivator. You will suddenly find focus and energy that you didn't dream you possess. Even just going around auditioning for bands is a great motivator, because you have to prepare.

You don't mention your preferred style of music, but I suggest trying out for any band you can find, regardless of style. Even though you are currently the best bassist in your city, playing in a band will make you even better...better than even you can imagine.
  17. So, you're 17, played 3 years ,and think you're better than the 40-something year olds that have been playing since before you were born? Didn't think so.

I'm 18, played 3 years, I know I kick the **** out of the other bass players MY AGE in my area, but I'll never claim to be the best in the CITY. :rolleyes:
  18. Maybe you could start working on your non-bragging ability.
  19. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    ok ill fill all you people in.
    Yes i play a 6 string. My musical styles are kinda wierd. People that see me slap say I sound EXACTLY like les claypool of Primus. Im self taught with tapping and Im darn good at it. I do play a double bass. I am borrowing it from my school. I thought it would be a lot cooler than it is so I dont play it very much. I would like nothing more than to record something and upload it but the truth is that I don't have the right hardware to do it. (I don't have any mics, and if I did I wouldn't know how to plug it into the computer). I do have software however. I have Sonar 2, And guitar tracks pro versions 1 and 2. They were all left to me by my brother when he joined the navy. His band took everything else. I am in a band now, I just didn't list it in my profile because I dont think its going to last on account of I HATE THE DRUMMER MORE THAN ANYTHING THAT HAS EVER EXISTED! ummmm.......did I leave anything out?....... oh yeah, to the guy that thought I said I was the best in the san francisco bay area took what I said wrong. I am the best in Fremont from what I have seen. I've seen bassists at my high school and bassists all around the city and not one of them can do anything I can't do. That's my basis for saying I'm better WOW! this is long noones going to read this.

anymore questions bring 'em.
    Oh yeah, one big problem I have is soloing. I would love to work on it, but I don't know where to start. And the guy that said I should check out jaco solos.... for the record I don't like Jaco. He's a great musician just not my style of music. I don't really care to learn any other styles than the one that I like. But im not sure what style that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.