1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need some head suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattyH, Jan 16, 2012.

1. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Hey all. I know a lot about different brands, but I need some feedback on what works well. Where else could I go for good honest feedback, tests, experience, and actual product research!

I want to get a new head for my Ampeg SVT-410HLF. Ideally, I'd like to match it with an Ampeg head. But I'm not limiting myself. I'm currently running it with a Hartke LH1000. I love the head, but it's just not cutting it for me anymore. The bottom is boomy, and I cant quite get a GREAT sound with the LH1000. So here are the heads I'm considering:

Ampeg SVT-4 - Big massive monster.

Ampeg SVT-7 - I love the tone. But I'm nervous of the quality and reliability. I've heard the stories...

Gallien Krueger 700RB - I've heard these sound incredible paired with the 410HLF

Gallien Krueger 1001

Gallien Krueger MB800 - Small, powerful, but I've heard it lacks balls. Hollow sounding?

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 - I like these, and I love Aggies, but is it enough power, and is it rackable?

I really need headroom. I'm in a wedding band, and I usually have support, but not ALL the time. I need something that will really give me great tone if I'm direct out of it, and I need great tone from the amp itself. Any suggestions? Rack mountable is pretty key as well!

Also, if you think of any other GREAT heads I didn't mention, suggest away.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's not your head that's "boomy", but rather, the SVT410hlf cab. I'd look for a new cab instead.

3. +1

A sealed cab, or really cutting your lows on your head might be the help you need.

4. It's the cab IMO.

You state your in a wedding band. I'd get something portable and punchy. I had an Epifani UL410 cab and it's a grreat cab that can peel paint off the walls. The 410HLF has a very prominent low end that may be difficult to dial some of the "boominess" out.

I personally like the cab but it's not for everyone.

5. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The 410HLF is basically made to have really deep low end extension. If that's not your bag, might want a different cab.

6. Get a genz benz neo-x 212. Quite light, portable, and sounds big.

Or an SVT 410-HE if you're fine schlepping the weight.

7. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Should have made myself clear. I have no problem with the cab. I like the boomyness. Thats why I got it. It cranks with my Stingray 5. I'm in a wedding band, but I HATE small portable rigs. I did the whole lightweight thing, and I truly hated it. I need big bulk. Just my thing. There's no problem with transporting, space, or me. I'm 25 and can lift plenty of weight and I haven't noticed a problem yet. Ironically, the only problem I DID have was with small lightweight stuff.

Now, back to the topic. I need HEAD suggestions. I've paired the head with SVT-15's, and non ported 410's as well, and I'm not thrilled with it. It's the heads tone I'm not sold on. I have it set flat. pretty much 0-10-2. Any other setting isn't much better. I liked the simplicity of the head, but now I feel like it's limiting me tone wise. I just remember playing an SVT-4 through the 410HLF and it sounded great. That's why I'm thinking there are other heads out there that can do a better job matched with THIS cab.