1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need to be a little more observant!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bound'n'blocked, Dec 17, 2018.

1. I was in GC today, killing time while the wife shopped next door. Not that I need another bass, but it never hurts to look right? That and the fact it was the last day to use a 16% off coupon...

So I'm browsing, and noticed a Spector Legend Classic 5 string in the used section. Got it down and played it. Boy, was it out of tune. So I got out my phone and used the tuner on it. Sounded better but still kinda weird. I kept noodling around. It was nice. And with the coupon, the price was right. I was considering trying to talk the Mrs into getting it. But something about it felt wierd. I couldn't understand why it would have flats on it. I'm not a fan of flats, but those could be changed.

Then it hit me! It was a fretless! I had been playing it for about twenty minutes before I noticed! That was a deal breaker, but it was a nice bass...
    IMG_20181217_124942069.

BnB

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Happened to me not too long ago with a Fender Jazz bass. Absolutely beautiful bass in Wine Red.
    Played it for about 10 minutes or so without realizing the frets were simply fret marker lines.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Spidey2112 and bound'n'blocked like this.
  3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Being a fretless, I still don’t understand why it would have flats on it...

4. Flats are a whole lot easier on a fretless neck than rounds are. Rounds tend to wear out the wood on the neck faster.

dbsfgyd1, EVerderame, hintz and 7 others like this.
  5. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    :eyebrow:

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Still, I will always use rounds on my Fretless...always...

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    :meh:

jackn1202 likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh: if you played it for 20 minutes before noticing = you probably became a fretless player....and then walked away from it! o_O

rounds might put some 'use' marks on the fingerboard. "wear out" from rounds takes years. have you played fretless? with rounds?

JRA likes this.
  10. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Still, I will always use Flats on my Fretless...always.. :)

11. That's a great point, I would have noticed right off with my sloppy playing.

GManfromOz, Old Blastard and JRA like this.
  12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

I took your advice about being more observant and then noticed the guy playing the P bass in the pic. :vomit: !!! What a rotten trick to play on us! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    You were probably thinking the bass was really used...the frets were so worn down.

murphy, B-Mac and bound'n'blocked like this.
  14. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I can't imagine not noticing for 20 seconds that I was playing a fretless never mind 20 minutes

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Jackcrow, TrustRod, Atshen and 13 others like this.
  15. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I bought a 6 string (Guitar) Ibanez lawsuit era les paul copy based on a picture from a local auction house. It was factory fretless after the 5th fret. Very rare. I didn't know till it sounded like I was torturing cats on the upper frets.

Traded it for a bass I never play.

murphy, gepettus and mikewalker like this.
  16. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So a fretless you were able to play normally and enjoy for about 20 minutes is rejected because it was fretless. You have to admit, that makes no sense whatsoever.

maxl, Atshen, murphy and 14 others like this.
  17. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    This goes beyond all of my previous thinking. Why do I play... is it for the feel ? Or the sound?? Do I care to look at it to make decisions and should i use the other one of the senses to achieve the goal. I think you may have had a zen like experience.

murphy and Old Blastard like this.
  18. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Hold up.....you couldn’t tell that you were playing a bass that didn’t have frets?! Truly, I don’t understand how something like that is possible. :eyebrow:

Atshen, osv, MVE and 9 others like this.
  19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm right there with you.

A bass player would have to be legally blind or wearing welding gloves for that to happen.

hintz, petrus61, wraub and 6 others like this.
  20. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Well ya know, there is no money past the 5th fret anyway! :)