1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I respect Jauqo III-X completely but...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by grace & groove, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    He is a talented bassist, to be sure, who knows his stuff about music and bass. And years ahead in the industry of where I'll ever be.

Yet, I'm not sure if this has been posted, I don't understand this:

http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music_power.html

Like, do you guys find this enjoyable to listen to?

EDIT: I'm not trying to bash Jauqo, we all know him and respect him. Just wondering if I was the only one who thinks that sounded bad.

EDIT 2: I've posted a clearer version of the song. Some people have been complaining about the guitarists so here is a short clip with one of the guitarists with Jauqo in a more "groovier" type of song to my ears:
    http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music_power.html

2. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    a but unorthodox, but I like it

I mean, if you have a fifteen stringer, it's not like you're gonna play mary had a little lamb, you go hardcore

3. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Still it is like they the drums and bass are playing one song while the two guitarists playing two other songs.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    :)

5. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    that's true, but as a whole I feel it sounds good, it's not really groovy or funky, but it's not 'bad' in my eyes

besides, why make a thread about this, I mean, if this were a really high-profile player's new CD/track i'd understand, but to me, this is just some guys experimenting

6. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    I don't know just wondering. Jauqo, as I state in my profile, is a big influence on me and I have the Low C# Theory, which is quite enjoyable to listen to.

I was just wondering what exactly they were experimenting with this. Some type of subgenre fusion?

7. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I dig it. :bag: Its wild. May I ask how the bass is tuned?

8. A very cool cat, and I've been listening to the Low C# Theory a lot since Friday or Saturday. The dude can hold a groove. This sounds similar to tracks 3 & 7.

A thing I had to get used to in the jazz world is the propensity for the instruments to all be doing something seemingly different - that is, until they all come together, and you "get it". Especially in fusion.

I'm digging it. :cool:

9. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    This didn't remind of anything from the album and I think this song differs from how you say they are do something different and then come together. When they did come together here?

10. Absolutely!

11. I kinda like it, but I admit it sounds like Saturday afternoon at a busy music store.

He's a great player.

12. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Wow, I like to compare this post to being at an art gallery. If you see the artist talking about their art are you going to call it non-art to their face.

Not every piece of music needs to have structure, not every piece of art need to have distinct lines. Learn to appreciate all different types of music and art and you yourself will be become a better musician/artist.

You may not like it, but it's really only up to Jauqo III-X to decide what it truly is. Everything else is just an opinion.

13. Sounds sick to me, nice stuff, Jauqo.

edit: also, judging by the quality of the recording, I would say that this would sound a lot better either live, or on a cd.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    /neighboor lady in a housecoat and slippers voice

" Don't you boys know any nice songs !? ":atoz:

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I think the guitars are supposed to counter the drums and bass here, I love it, that "Tarzan yell" type line the guitarist is doing actually compliments the piece well. Chaotic and cool, pluse I know that all the guys are very talented seasoned musicians. Just close your eyes.......listen.

16. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Doesn't sound like that to me at all. It gets "out there" at times, but definitely a decent piece of music. Of course, I've been listening to King Crimson all day, so maybe I'm in the right frame of mind.

17. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    I didn't say it wasn't music. And you are talking about saying it to their face? I'm going to talk behind his back. I'll give you some advice here, don't say anything about somebody that you wouldn't say to their face.

Never said this either? :confused: I'm asking what they are experimenting here and does anybody listen to this stuff.

I obviously appreciate the artist if I listen to his music.

I don't like it. I'm asking who does. I'm asking what they are experimenting.

It might be up to Jauqo III-X to decide what it truly is, but only when he listens to it. Does he really decide to tell you what you are hearing when you listen to it? If he says this is his Death Metal song, do you now think it is Death Metal?

18. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Guys this is atonal jazz/fusion type stuff. It's like Miles Davis' Bitches Brew or some of those other experimental jazz albums of the 70's. It doesn't mean they are bad players, in fact, it is quite the opposite but it is an acquired taste and definitely not something for everyone. I respect it for what it is but I'm not a big fan of it personally.

19. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Haha, I have a funny Rob Fripp story. I gave an old bass I had to my friend who wants to learn how to play and I completely forgot I had it in New Standard tuning when I gave it to him. His teacher was very confused apparently! :p

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I like Jauqo too but all potential chicks shaking their tatas just left the room to leap off a skyscraper to cure their newfound, head-splitting, guitar center headache. ;)

EDIT: I've seen Jauqo play and I much prefer him on a four or five banger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.