1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Salvaged an Old Crate CR-60B...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    d325_1.

I'm borrowing an eBay image for this (it just so happens that someone else is selling the same amp model right now), but I'm curious about this head, since I now have one in my possession that I salvaged.

My new roommate just moved out of a place that's on the verge of being condemned (one of the reasons why he decided to move out, since the owners weren't doing anything about it). We were rummaging through the stuff left behind by his other housemates before we left that place, and we found an old, abandoned amp - a Crate CR-60B. It's gotta be a bass amp, based on its features.

It has the following knobs:
    - Gain
    - Bass
    - Treble
    - Master Volume
    - Limiter

It also has a "Bright" switch (treble boost), Hi/Lo Inputs (for active and passive basses), and a Line Out. Its output is 60W RMS @ 4 Ohms.

Anyone have any further knowledge or history on this amp model? Anyone ever tested or owned one of these?

I tested it out briefly with my stereo system and it works fine - seems like a pretty clean-sounding SS amp. I won't really know how it sounds until this weekend when I try it out with a real bass cabinet.

2. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    its a guitar amp. I just googled it.

3. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    its also from the late 70s apparently

4. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, I figured it'd be late 70s, early 80s.

Thanks for the PM, BTW! I might just keep it if it sounds good, but do I really need three amps?

...maybe :D

5. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    hey its free, and if you like the way it sounds, use it. It never hurts to add another element to one's sound.

I use a guitar amp when I record usually because I think it sounds better than my bass amps in the studio.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    WRONG-O, it is a bass amp...

Check the knobs on the right. One is a limiter knob, as your list shows.

Only Crate bass amps have limiters, and besides I know perfectly well it is a bass amp.

IIRC I designed it............ Somewhere around 1982 probably. I'd have to see who signed the drawing and when... I may even have a manual, but it is so simple I doubt you'd ever need one.

It's "ok" for a bass amp from then, with a big 60 watts of power at 4 ohms. Might be one that had a 90 watt rating at 2 ohms, most of the 60 watt units did.

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, I was pretty sure it couldn't be a guitar amp. Nothing about it screams "guitar" :smug:

I didn't realize we had ex-Ampeg/Crate employees on TB! Good to know, for these weird old amps :D

It'll be an interesting amp to try at louder volumes... I'll report on what I think of it this weekend.

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Sweet! Thanks, danomite!

It would be nice to have a matching cab... it'd be a better package to sell or show off later :)

I wonder if that cab would work decently with the amp, though? :meh:

9. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
  10. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    what? its pretty normal for a bass cab to be 8 ohms, no?

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1

I think the other jack on that cab is an output, so you could link two 8 Ohm cabinets to the amp.

Just a guess, of course... I'm sure Jerrold has a better answer :D

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    60W at 4, 90 at 2........................

13. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC

What about that cab on evilbay.......bass or guitar?

14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Probably guitar extension cabinet from the picture, but no picture of the whole back, and I can't quite read the model number.

I'd have to double-check with an old catalog. Just a chance it is a closed back bass cab, I flat don't remember. Gotta be from 1978-1983 time range.

15. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Thanks I read:model ex pi

16. Mark James

Mark James

Feb 21, 2018
    I have the matching Head and Cabinet.