1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i think i have a cable problem--help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yodedude2, Jun 9, 2007.

1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i had trouble getting enough gain from my passive bass to properly drive my amp at the gig last night. i switched to my backup amp which helped a little bit (because it has a built-in boost stage) but overall it still wasn't good. so, i am checking my gear this morning and in desperation finally try the cable. the pickup resistance through the cable reads less than 1-- about .8 or something. through 2 other cables, the pickup resistance is 10.4. so, i must have a bad cable, right?

and yet, the cable still passes signal.:confused: when i have had cable failures in the past, they short out and fail to pass any signal or pass signal only intermittently. i checked the 'bad' cable for continuity and it does not have a short. please, someone give me an explanation as to what is going on. also, should i try to save the cable or simply trash it? it is a proper instrument cable--says so right on it. thanks in advance, ron

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    after investigating, i discovered the cable had a problem at one plug end. i chopped off about half a foot of cable and re-attached the plug. now everything's fine. :cool:

still, i had never come across a cable that would partially short out. i played the whole gig through that cable without static, hum, pops, noise, etc. just an extreme loss of gain. :meh: so, to future generations, know that cables can partially fail (partially being different from intermittently). later, ron

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021