1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think something is wrong with my bass???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by derekA2009, Mar 18, 2008.

1. derekA2009

derekA2009

Mar 18, 2008
    :confused:Sorry for not knowing much yet, but I just got my first bass and when I was playing it at the store it seemed fine. I noticed the strings were loose and ringing but I figured it was because it needed to be tuned. Anyway, I got home and tuned it and I don't think there is any change. I believe the ringing is coming from the top of the fretboard. I'm not sure what's wrong. It's a Ibanez gsr...any help would be appreciatted. Thanks...:confused:

2. I'm not for sure what it is but I'm sure someone else on here will. Most of the time when you get a bass from a shop it hasn't been "set up". They get in a shipment, put a price tag on them and hang them on the wall. Some may not even be in tuned. Your bass probably just needs to be set up. The shop should do it for you free since you got it there. Stick around and watch them and you'll get some "troubleshooting" tips. They may need to adjust the truss rod, the bridge saddles and maybe even the height of the pick ups. If the strings are too close to the frets it could make a buzzing sound and if the pickups are too high it can effect the sound, such as a ringing sound. That's all I have. Someone will be able to help you out...keep an eye on your thread. Good luck.

3. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    If you just got it I would suggest, HIGHLY suggest, doing a setup on it. That gets rid of most problems 95% of the time. Just look at the stickies, there are some great links to show you how to setup your own bass. If you aren't comfy with that then take it to the store you purchased it at, and ask them to do it since you just got it from them.

Also, where exactly is the ringing coming from? Up by the nut? Near the 5th and 7th frets? More specific information will help us better help you.

Oh yeah, Welcome to Talkbass!

4. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    I agree with the above posts, take it back to the shop and ask them to set it up for you. They should really have done that when the bass arrived at the shop. It shouldn't take more than 15 - 20 mins to do a simple set up.

The way you describe the ringing and if it only happens when you play an open string, I'd say there's a posibility that you might have a string that isn't wound far enough down the machine head. On a non-angled headstock like a Fender that can stop the string having a sharp enough angle over the nut and cause a weird ringing sound as the string vibrates between the nut and the machine head. Very simple to fix, just slacken off the string a little and push the windings further down the machine head towards the face of the headstock, then tune back up to pitch and it should be eliminated.

Otherwise it could be a simple case of fret buzz from a poorly set string action. Just take it back to the shop and get them to set it up for you.

Hope this helps,

Ad

5. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Yep, get a set up.
    the shop you bought it for will probably give it to you for free if you explain to them (or complain :D)

other wise yep about 15$ and 15-30 min of your time, if it needs anything crazy they will prob ask that you leave it and pick it up in a day or two.

Pay attention if they let you watch and have them explain what they are doing, it'll help you make adjustments on your own later on.