1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

I wanna be a Youtube Warrior! (Interface + software questions..)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jackotheclown, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Hey TBers

I've been thinking, it's time to get my playing out there on Youtube. I never thought I would do it, I always thought it was a waste of time and just what "bedroom musicians" do. But the more I think of it, the more I think it would be a swell way to get my playing out there to people and showcase what I can do for potential students.

My question is, what hardware do I need to achieve this? I have a GoPro which I was gonna use for the visual. I have been looking at audio interfaces and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 keeps coming up. Some people have said they put their basses through a DI box too, so I was thinking about getting a good DI box also and obviously some good recording software such as Logic or Protools. This is looking more costly by the second but you have to spend money to make money eh?!

I use a Fender Jazz with a Markbass CMD 121p but to get the sound of that I would have to spend a lot of money on microphones eh? Without a DI box can anyone attest for the tone that you get from the Scarlett 2i2? Or is it important that I can a DI box too? Well I'm an idiot when it comes to all this stuff. Any advice is welcomed. :)

- Jack

2. I plug my bass into a Presonus Audiobox USB interface and I have my Zoom Q3HD audio video recorder connected to the audio outputs of the Audiobox. The Audiobox is hooked up to my computer so I can play along with music (either YouTube or CDs). All my bass playing videos are done this way. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Focusrite Scarlett.

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Your markbass has a direct out which can be set pre eq (no change from the markbass preamp) or post eq (With the markbass eq settings) so no need for a DI box. I'd try it like that before investing in any other gear. You might want to mix the speaker as well and blend it with the direct signal on a seperate track

4. So I would plug my Markbass line out into the Interface, which connects to my PC? I went ahead and bought the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for 60$ off a mate.

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yup, if you select post on the button next to the line out you'll get all of your preamp controls from the top of the amp. If you don't want the amp's speaker to play you can disconnect the 1/4" speaker cable. I usually use a direct signal along with a mic on the amp, but experiment and see what kind of tones you get.

6. Thanks man!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. So I recorded me playing Donna Lee and Dexterity. Donna Lee is straight into the interface, I added reverb and a bit of compression after. Dexterity is using the amps line out to the interface. But on both recordings I'm hearing a crackle/hiss on the sound. Any idea where this is from? I don't think I'm clipping apart from the last not on Donna Lee..

Attached Files:

Bass Viking likes this.
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    great playing! No idea about the noise. I didn't notice it on PC speakers though. Try another cable.

9. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    You got everything you need. Time to get to work. Maybe try a compressor to get rid of the clipping.

10. Thanks guys, I realized it was mostly my headphones and the gain was set to high on the interface for Donna Lee to..

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021