I was Once a CARVIN Fan, But

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgrooves2, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been a long time Carvin User for YEARS.
    I have owned and do own several Carvin instruments and amplifiers etc.

I recently downsized my bass rig and have been really happy with the Lightweight Carvin BX500 bass amp.
    It has great tone, is extremely versatile, and weighs less than my iPad (or seems like it anyway).

My trouble came when I tried to take use of the foot switchable mute and Graphic EQ. accessible by front panel switched has been fine for a while, but i love to option to set the Graphic almost as a separate channel, or to compensate for a dissimilar instrument.

I have a Carvin FS22 Footswitch lying around that I use with my X100B guitar head and I used regularly with my BX1200 Dual Mono Block Bass Amplifier (another Gem IMO)

I couldn't get the FS22 to work at all with my BX500, although I did notice a flicker on the related front panel LEDs when Inserting or removing the 1/4" TRS jack on the FS22

Well I relayed ALL of this information to Carvin Customer Service and asked , politely, if there was anything I had possibly overlooked (I know the front panel switches have to be engaged on the X100B and BX1200 in or for the FS22 to operate) or if there was something I could take a look at that could be causing the issue.
    Knowing that the FS22 functions properly with BOTH the other amps, I am assuming something in the BX500, wouldn't you?

Here are the email responses I received....

"The BX500 only uses the FS22 footswitch; no other type of footswitch will work with this unit."
    --Steve Schisler

"How is it possible that you are using an FS22 on your X100B amp? The original X100B takes a 3-pin XLR style footswitch (FS36) and the recent re-issue model takes a 5-pin (FS44L) and neither model accepts a standard 1/4in plug like the one used on the FS22; the BX500 and BX1200 both accept the FS22 so your original statement about using this particular footswitch on your X100B is rather confusing to us. Unless there is an issue with the actual footswitch itself, then there may be a problem with the footswitch jack on the amp head that would need to be addressed by a service technician. You are welcome to call 1-800-854-2235 and ask to speak with one of our amp repair techs anytime Mon-Fri between the hours of 8:00am and 2:00pm PST.

Thank you,

Carvin customer service"
    -- Joe Stone

Now there is just so much wrong with these responses it is ridiculous!! NEITHER response has any regard really to my initial question which was was there something I amy have overlooked or something I should take a look at. I Absolutely Positively included the fact that I was using a FULLY FUNCTIONAL FS22 footswitch.

Here's the even better part. The first response, regarding the FS22 being the only footswitch that will work onhte BX500...WRONG!!!

It clearly states in the manual that "Any Standard Footswitch with a Stereo (TRS) Plug will work.

Dont Believe me, check it out
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/BX500-single-pages.pdf

The second email was even better though. Remember he stated that there was only a 3 pin and a 5 pin Footswitch Jack on the X100B and X100B reissue amps, respectively.

Well I don't know about anyone else's, but this is how mine looks....
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/X100B

Oh wait, Thats Carvin's Own Website pictures!!!
    What a complete A Hole

Anyway, In just one afternoon I have went from a LOYAL CARVIN fan to a bitter and defeated loser in the battle of lies.

I can honestly say that Carvin gear will NEVER be on my list of new purchases ever again. Hell their own employees lie to you about their own products!

Thank you for those who stuck with me and have read this far. I know there have been Carvin Horror stories in the past, and mine pales in comparison to many, but that really got me worked up for some reason. I just had a simple question and what did I get a Pack of Lies from two different employees.

F&*k Em'

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Sorry to hear that.... I just tried my Carvin footswitch with my BX500 and it worked just fine.

3. That's too bad you got a couple of bad responses. I've been in the customer service biz for a long, long time, and I can see how you would be pissed. Unfortunately, emailing Carvin in the past has got me crappy responses, but some good ones too. I wouldn't stake the company on two guys who may have skimmed over your email and then hastily sent a response. They, like any company IMHO, deserve a chance to redeem themselves. Give them a call and calmly state your issue. Don't mention the two crappy emails. See if you can get the issue resolved. You never know what the person on the other end is thinking, but I agree that's no excuse for crappy service. If you get your issue resolved, write an email to management and include your original email and the responses. Who knows, maybe these two guys are giving other people bad answers too. If you like the company, you are doing them a favor by telling their superior. I'd personally like to see Carvin around for a while. I'm a big fan of their stuff.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    When I get bad responses from an employee or two, I quickly go higher on the food chain. And I ALWAYS mention the responses I got.

And I ALWAYS get results, and I don't mean ALMOST ALWAYS.

I mean ALWAYS.

There is no try.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Were you having a rough day anyway and this was the final straw? Seems a little dramatic to me to walk away from a company you've supported for years over two e-mails.

-Mike

6. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I know this is off topic, but I had two original X100b's and they both did have that 3 pin XLR connector end. Wonder why yours is different?
    I do agree with you about their responses. Hope you get it all resolved!

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I personally love my Carvin gear. Never had to call customer service though

8. Mine is the reissue, just like the one in my original post it has a 5 pin switch jack and a TRS switch jack.

And FWIW I have contacted Carvin Service Dept on several Occasions about various different questions, and until yesterday had never once even received a response.

My Brother had a very unpleasant experience with their staff about ten years ago, but I was hoping it was just a fluke. I have read many many negative reviews of their customer service over the years, but always have them the Benefit of the doubt.

I honestly would have rather had no response at all than had two email responses in which I was blatantly lied to with information that is easily contradicted via their own reference materials.

I think it is the fact that I was just lied to with no regard that really gets me the most. I am totally fine with someone not knowing the answer to the question, but at least say so.

Also, I have attempted to go "higher up the food chain" and am curious if I will receive any sort of response.

9. Thats just it, I have always supported them, and they've never supported me. I really wish they had more locations because I would much rather deal with someone in person. I am convinced you are far more likely to get the best of someone when you are standing face to face.

CSR's behind a computer screen are very quick to write someone off many times (not all of them).

And many people are braver behind a keyboard. I have been in Customer Service most of my life and I have always strived to make dealing with a customer via email or telephone just as personal as dealing with them standing right in front of me.
    It has never gotten poor results.

10. I love my Carvin Gear too and have no intention of getting rid of any of it.

your avatar is AWESOME by the way:hyper:

11. Just out of curiosity, what position did you have the front panel switches in when yours works properly.

I know my X100B had to have the front panel switches engaged for the channel 2 andfx loop for the FS22 to operate those functions.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm not gonna read through the paragraph upon paragraph upon paragraph of problems and complaints. I've skimmed it. That's enough.

I will say that to abandon an entire company's products based upon the responses of a couple of airhead CSRs is downright doofy - and you should know it. I think you're just having a bad day, and wanted to play drama queen for awhile. But if you're determined to proceed, be my guest. And good luck with that.

Having said that, I've had dealings before with Steve Schisler - and I won't go there again. Not exactly the brightest light on the tree, if you know what I mean.

If I were you, I would escalate the matter until I received satisfaction. But that's just me being rational again... :rolleyes:

MM

13. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    The toggle switches on the head were set to off / disengaged on the head for the footswitch to work. If they are flipped to 'on' then they are always on and the footswitch does nothing.

Definitely call Carvin back and speak to someone else.
    I'm new to Carvin (as of 2/7/12) and will admit they're emails can be a bit curt. But as it turns out its probably because many of us who are actually awaiting custom builds are emailing and asking questions ( a lot!)...

My bass came with the wrong hex wrench so I called and as immediately (and very politely) taken care of!

14. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Carvin probably has one of the best customer service departments, at least in my opinion. However I've always gotten on the phone and called Carvin direct. None of this back and forth email business.

15. Skimming is what causes problems like this in the first place. Drama Queen is not a role I play and I urge you to perhaps read and attempt to think about a post before responding.

I have never once skimmed someone's email and made a reply based on at info. I have skimmed in order to gather information to base my reply on, but I ALWAYS read and do my best to understand the situation before replying, as any CSR should, "and you should know that"

Further posts also state that I was following through with the situation, but I still doubt I will be shopping with the again in the future.

My decision to no longer support Carvin products is not one that culminated ONLY from this recent experience with customer service, which you may realize had you read the entire post before responding, but oh we'll. Anyone is entitled to their opinion.

Since having made the original post, I have been contacted by both representatives in which they were very apologetic for being dismissive and just, wrong. I was quick to reply with a thank you for following up and for looking into my question. Both have since been very polite and eager to attempt to help.
    I will state that I did not try to go over the heads of the reps, as that is almost always slightly insulting to the CSR in question, I'm my experience. I would rather give the rep a chance to rectify the situation on their own, which BOTH Carvin reps have done.

16. I have gone the direct phone call route before, with poor results.

17. Thanks for the info. This confirms the info I eventually received from a Carvin tech and I am ALMOST certain I tried it, but I will verify this weekend when I get back in town.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    since the purpose of this thread has apparently been resolved, i'm going to close it.

however, if the op would like to add more, feel free to contact me via pm and tell me and i'll open it again.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.