1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I wish I knew about SX earlier.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Choosh, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    I wish I knew it when I first was buying a bass. I mean, I got squire standard Jazz Bass blemished and for sale for 170 out of 240ish. But still. I actually am considering getting an SX as my next bass, but I rather save my money for Jaguar bass and a new amp and some effects =/.

2. stroh874

stroh874

Feb 15, 2008
    Illinois
    i have to say that sx has squier beat in just about every category

3. The SX bass has small volume pots/tuners and cheap pickups...You could sell your Squire bass later but an SX bass is worth nothing.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Spoken like someone who's never played an SX.

The volume pots and tuners are the same size as on other basses. The pickups are very useable. In fact, the SX is very playable out of the box. For an inexpensive bass they are definitely worth the money.

As for resale value, you can get close to what you paid for it in good shape. If you mod it, you can probably get a bit more than you paid.

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The SX's I played didn't hold up to any Squier VM that I have played. It's all relative to the bass you play.

6. +1...

I doubt anyone has played more than a few SX's or a few Squiers...

the Squiers that I HAVE played recently, were quite nice...I haven't played an SX...so my perception is handicapped in that regard...

with all that said...I must say, I DO like my Yamaha...but my next bass will be a Squier Deluxe...great bass for the $$

7. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I wouldn't compare the Squier VM line to SX, considering that the VMs run about $250-$300 or so, while the SX can be had for usually about $125-$150. I've got both and I've also played a few other Squiers and SXes, and I have to say that for half the price, SX definitely even gives the VMs a run for their money, and absolutely trumps the similarly priced Squiers.

8. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    admittedly,, i've only played one SX 5er about a year ago for like 3 minutes, & to me it felt ,, icky,, & very cheaply made, ( & not in a good way ) if i remember correctly it even had a flat fingerboard, which added to the iciness, ( is that a word,, if it is, it perfectly described that experience with the 5er )

OTOH, i've recently purchased & modded two Squier 5ers, & they both are very high quality instruments, at a very reasonable price point.

DSCF0022.
    DSCF0020-1.

DSCF0014-2.
    DSCF0013-1.

so,,, IMO there's NO comparison, on the 5ers anyways

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I have both and just want to say that either is a good choice.

10. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had actually really wanted to like the SX but just couldn't find one that agreed with me. Like any other brand, I'm sure there are good one. I have the Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V and was blown away by it. I didn't see that coming. But I am not going to argue with a a good sounding inexpensive bass. :D

FWIW, my son tells me that he is never giving up his Yamaha. He put flats on it for Jazz band and says it just speaks "bass" to the point where even his band teacher has commented on its sound in a positive way.

My point was more about sweeping statements. I'm sure that there are good basses in both lines, it is just that the SX basses I played did not speak to me and had quality issues. I have had better luck with Squier for whatever reason.

11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    How does the B on this bass compare to the Active Deluxe you have?

12. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    the B is great on the Affinity, i've left the original Fender strings on & it's every bit as good as the SDAJV.

13. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have a thought.....:p

14. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I've actually had similar comments on my SX P, but for jazz I still love my Squier VMJ Fretless, It speaks jazz more fluently.

15. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    Maybe I just got lucky and got a really good one, but my SX P/J is a really good bass. The neck is very nice and required zero fret dressing. I had planned on replacing the pickups, but they actually sound good as-is. My MIM Precision Special went to Ebay after I got the SX.
    This is the only SX I've played, but I've played a bunch of P's and J's and this bass is as good or better than any MIM Fender I've played.
    As to resale value, I bought this bass for $75 used. Heck, they're only a little over a hundred bucks brand-new. For that price, who gives a crap about resale value? Besides, you're not going to get your money back out of a Squier, either.

16. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    im looking to get a sx fretless p bass just to mess around on a fretless.

i dont get along with mim fenders so i dont know how a sx is gunna do =/

that 5 string active j squire is a very very nice bass though. if i ever am in the market for a 5 string i would jump on it no problem.

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    There are Squiers and then there are Squiers... The Vintage Modified series Squiers are by all accounts great. I have the fretless model and love it, and I played the Telebass model several times in stores and loved it too. They're definitely cheaper made than a US Fender (duh!) but there's nothing to hate and lots to love, so...

18. I find it amusing that some people judge the Squier vs. SX question in terms of resale value. These are 2 cheap basses. Things that start out cheap can't depreciate too much. A $150 bass that loses half it's value is still only down $75..... At this price point, make your decision based on quality and sound and don't spend a lot of time worrying about resale values. When you start looking at more expensive basses, resale values become more relevant.

19. Someone modding an SX..

I just bought a new Ibanez for less than $450 including tax and shipping...the prices have come down so much on bass guitars that buying a bass that has so little re-sale value is not really worth it.

[​IMG]

20. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You just proved my point MartyMan. A modded SX is worth a bit more than a new stock one, but not a lot more. No one expects to get all the money back they put into a modded SX that's used. If they do, they are delusional.