Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iamp questions

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by defrost, Sep 29, 2004.

1. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    OK, I have read a lot of the info here about amps for double bass and I had a couple of questions. From everything I have heard, the iamp 800 seems to be the way to go and I am pretty set on this. The question now is cabinet. I have heard a lot of people talk about the CX112, but what about the NL210? Usually, I like smaller speakers, but I wanted to hear what you guys thought.

I play in a 22-piece big band, though I have been working overseas for the last 2 years and have been unable to play. I have an old Kay bass with a K&K bassmaster.

Also, I have not heard a lot of people talk about how well this amp sounds with EB. I dont play a lot of EB, but I would like to know if anyone has used this amp with EB, in more of a funk setting.

Thoughts?

D

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had mine for several months. Used it on a bunch of gigs with a pair of EA VL 208's, an EA CX 310, and a pair of Eden 210XLT cabs (not all at the same time yet). It's loud as hell, clear and has excellent tone for Double Bass with the EA cabs in any configuration. I've stopped looking for another DB amp rig. It was perfect with the 4 ohm 210 xlt cabs and an old Jazz Bass for an R&B/wedding gig. Better than the Eden WT800 head I used to use for that. It sucks with just the 208's and a Fender but add the 310 to the two and it's arena rock time. Pretty ferocious through an Ampeg 810 too. Slapping the Jazz with the iAmp, the deep switch on, no EQ and the 310 or the Eden 210's is pretty damn fun. It and an Ampeg SVT are all I use, mix and matching cabinets for the gig. It's the best solid state rig all in one amp I've used. Beats the SWR SM900, SM400, Eden WT800, Ampeg SVT3, AMP BH420, all of which I've sold. It rivals the big old solid state rigs I used to use with various preamps and Crown Macrotech poweramps for volume but the tone is way better. Carefull with the lows. I added an outboard subsonic filter to keep from blowing up speakers when I play loud. I'm not sure if I'd like it with the other smaller box EA's and a slab. For me the 208's kill on the Double Bass but lay in the dirt with the old Fenders. For the Fenders alone I like the 210's or the 310 better. I usually use the SVT on most Fender only gigs. I've done some doubleing with the 208's and get by just fine. Sounds good enough for a couple tunes on Fender in a night of primarily Double Bass. All night with the Fender's and I bring out the big guns. Keep in mind that I was raised on rock. Now I'm old and deaf and play to loud. YMMV.

3. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

Hey defrost, I bought an iAMP 800 Combo (an iAMP 800 coupled with a CXL-112L). It's about 60 lbs. and I've found ot to work very well for both upright (Realist pickup) and with both my P- and J-basses. Seriously, every time I play through it I'm surprised by how much sound and ultimately, BASS, comes out of that little box.

I've played it in a fairly loud blues scenario (with a guitarist using a 4x10 Fender amp with lots of bass coming out of it), and I was able to "get under" the bass freq coming out of his rig. The Deep switch in the iAMP is pretty marvelous. I've also played it in an acoustic piano (baby grand), bass, and drums trio in a massive church, without a PA, and was able to easily control the boominess. I've also used it when the PA was too anemic to handle any bass freq at all, with both acoustic folk acts and a Manouche/Klezmer/Tsigane band with Accordion, Violin, Upright Bass & Guitar. Outdoors, it held its own (without going through the PA).

I'm sure there will be situations shwere I miht want to throw another CXL-112L, or maybe one of them Schroeder 1210 cabs underneath it, but so far, the combo itself has worked just as is. And for that amount of money, I expect it to!! :)

If you'd like any more information, drop me a line.

Chris
    http://www.chrisbreitner.com

4. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Hi,

I use the iAMP800 with a CXL112 for electric.
    I play that rig with my contemporary music ensamble in church and with a brass band. For my hard rock band I add a 1x15" EV.
    My band members are frequently commenting on the good bass sound. (And I "only" play an Ibanez bass)

Its very, very good, especially if you consider the small size.
    I think the NL210 sounds better than the CXl112 but is not as loud.

If you have questions drop me an e-mail

wneff2@yahoo.com

Wolfram

5. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the info, I have been thinking about getting one of each, the CXL12 and the NL210, but I cant afford them at the same time and am wondering which to get first. I am still overseas and won't be home until December, but I am just trying to wet my appetite.

D

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad that you are digging the iAMP 800, Phil! I told you that once you heard EA gear, you'd be hooked! :p

D, you seem to be committed to the iAMP 800, and I have to agree that it is an excellent choice (with the Walter Woods Ultra being another, albeit more expensive, option to consider).

With regard to the CXL-112, I do think that it would work well with the iAMP 800. In fact, I think that the two are somewhat made for each other, as I think that the CXL-112 needs the extra thickness that the iAMP provides (relative to some other solid state heads). However, as good as the CXL-112 is, there are other EA cabs that I prefer. I love VL-208's, and as Uncletoad points out, the iAMP 800 with two VL-208's is a phenomenal double bass rig. I agree with my amphibious friend that two VL-208's, alone, don't quite get it for "electric bass" (I'm not a "Fender guy" ;) ), but three VL-208's is an entirely different story! :bassist: The transition in sound from two to three VL-208's is astounding. I'm still trying to find a 4th, but three VL-208's and a VL-110 make for a close approximation, and these four cabs make for a mighty, modular, "mini" rig. Oh, and with its 2 ohm stable capabilities, the iAMP 800 will eat this up!

Other great EA cab recommendations would be virtually anything from the VL-series line. VL-110's are excellent, though not as good as VL-208's for upright (or for midrange in general). VL-210's are the absolute bomb when you give them enough power and push them hard (I mean really hard). They shine like nothing else I have tried in this regard. However, at lower volumes, VL-208's will sound much more articulate and well-balanced. The CX-310 (or VL-310, which is the same cab) will give you very nearly everything that two VL-210's will offer, but with even more high end clarity (which you can dial out, if you don't like). They are a beast to lug around, but if you have a big old van, don't have to go up and down steps, and are used to hauling SVT fridges, then it probably wouldn't seem too bad. ;) I just picked up a VL-108, and it is an incredible cab for its size, but it has volume limitations, of course.

I recently picked up a CXL-112 and a CXL-210. Of the two, if I had to only play through one, I'd prefer the CXL-210. It's a bit more full and balanced sounding, to my ears. The two are great together. I'd imagine that the NL-210 sounds stellar, though I haven't heard one. Mike Dimin likes both a CXL-112 and NL-210 together. If it were me, and these were the only two that you were considering, I'd get the NL-210 first, then the CXL-112.

Now, another path to consider, especially in your 22-piece big band (where you probably aren't going to be punishing the floorboards quite to the extent that Uncletoad does!), is a pair of Wizzy's. I have had one for a while, and it is truly the most impressive sound out of such a small, light cab that I have heard. Last night, I had the opportunity to try it with a second Wizzy, and the results are astouding. The Wizzy is not a good cab for subterranean lows, but it is a very full, warmish sounding cab, that somehow retains excellent clarity and balance. There are no tweeters on the Wizzy (so no sparkly highs), but it has good high end clarity and definition with its wizzer cone. I would that an iAMP 800 and two Wizzy's would be ideal for a big band situation. Of course, the iAMP 800 with a CXL-112 and NL-210 would be even more formidable (though more expensive).

Hope this helps, Tom.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I do own both and have run them off both the iamp 800 and the iamp 500. For what I do, lots of solo bass, chord melody with and without loops, I prefer the NL-210. The NL-21) is amazingly transparent and flat across the bandwidth. When I have 3, 4 or 5 bass parts going simultaneously, the 210 lets me hear it all with stunning clarity.

I do love the 112 as well. It is a bit more forward or aggressive sounding than the 210. It retains nice tight lows but has a bit of a mid range punch that really makes the bass heard as well as felt.

Together they are amazing.

I have also played 2 Wizzy's (at bassquake 2003). I also really liked this setup. 2 Wizzy's is defintely more than the sum of it's parts. Having 2 Wizzy's give you the flexibility for different spaces and gigs.

I know Tom raves about the VL-210. I know he hasn't tried the NL-210. I think he would find them rather similar (except of course for the weight). Both the NL-210 and CXL-112 weigh in at about 43 pounds

Mike

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, not counting the NM-410 (which isn't widely available yet), the NL-210 is one of only two EA cabs that I haven't owed (the CXL-110 being the other). You keep talking like that, and I just may have to cut that number down a bit more! Dang you, Mike! And dang you, John, for building cabs that I just cannot resist!
    :D

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    You will be assimilated

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have an iamp800 and two CXL112s. It may be the last rig I ever buy. I play in a pretty loud Motown/R&B band on BG and a Jazz Trio on URB in all kinds of venues from outdoor festivals to super small (and quiet) jazz clubs. The iamp800 covers every possible power need and the only other decision is one or two CXL112s (Usually it's one). In fact see my recent post on "surprise use of the CXL112". As for the 410 for upright? I think it would be a great sounding cabinet for high volume gigs but, on upright, it may be overkill.

11. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Is the VL series still available, I was under the impression that those speakers have been discontinued.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The VL are, in fact, discontinued in favor of the CxL and the NL/NM series. Tom has a hard time letting go :D

Mike

13. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    yeah, my biggest problem in the big band is simply being heard clearly without being overpowering with the volume. I have used other amps in the past, but have never been 100% satisfied. I played an SWR combo for a while which was great for EB. When I played DB it sounded ok in a small setting, but I wasn't overly impressed with it in the big band. I played with an old GK head once but hated the sound. Granted, I was using an old Peavy cabinet (long story, don't ask), so I know I cant blame the sound on the amp.

From everything I have read the iamp is the way to go, though I am getting really impatient. I am out of the country until December and won't be able to get it until then :crying:

D