1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez BTB Club, Part 2!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    armybass, you have the two Ibanez basses which I had really wanted, the SRF706 and the BTB685MSC. Not that the BTB685SC (the original rosewood fretboard version) that I have is worse. It's just that I had wanted to own a 5 string bass with maple fretboard and 19mm string spacing for quite some times. The BTB685MSC surely meets all criteria. And the other one, the SRF706, which is the 6 string version of SRF705 that I have, I gave up an old 6 string fretless bass of mine for the SRF705, which obviously couldn't truly replace the old one.

I've asked the local Ibanez distributor for both models (the BTB685MSC and SRF706). Unfortunately, none could be brought in despite being made here in Indonesia. They said because Ibanez principal didn't list the two (as well as many others) for our market.

armybass likes this.
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    It is strange how they decide what they sell and where. What’s the big deal? It’s a bass guitar, why not allow everyone to purchase the same model?

3. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    The single cut is very cool. I’ve had several Ibanez basses and liked every one. Sr500 and 600, ATK800 and now sr650 and the BTB. Always excellent quality and light. Read so much negative about the stock preamp but when I swapped one with a I bart didn’t see a miraculous tansformation.

The SRSC is on my wishlist.

armybass likes this.
  4. The Premium models are always far better made than the standard models. They really put the time on the details, especially the fret and neck work. The BTB 1606E and BTB1406 (defretted) premium basses are my main instruments. You are so very correct about the upper sharp corner. I don't know what they are thinking on that. The bass needs a forearm cut. My right arm was bruised the morning after every gig. I fixed it though. I had my luthier cut both basses, to make the edge in the forearm area smooth and rounded. Then he sanded and matched the stain. No more sharp corner on the firearm....problem solved. They really need to fix that though on future models. It is a design flaw on otherwise wonderful basses.

irbass and dax21 like this.
  5. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    It's at least somewhat consoling to read that others have the same issue with the forearm cutaway on their BTBs. I rectify it by wearing a sweatband but often I will forget it for rehearsals and have a bruise the day after. Pretty much the only issue I have with my BTB after spending almost a decade with it as my main bass.

irbass and armybass like this.
  6. 8liter

8liter

Apr 30, 2009
    Hey crew. Looking to change the bridge around on my 575. The hardware is toast and the finish is gross. I looked high and low for someone to get me a set of the monorail mk2 bridges in the cosmo white, but the most I could find are two units (from Ibanez Rules and DrumsEtc) and that's it. Seem to a decent amount of cosmo black units but I'm over that finish.

As far as I know the monorail systems are not interchangeable, but I'd be happy with swapping to a hipshot bridge. Feel free to let me know if this a horrible idea or not.

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yeah, they aren't interchangeable. You can't swap them with Hipshot's... Even amongst Ibanez own Monorails (MR-II, IV, V) aren't. Each generation of the MR bridges has different dimensions and more so cause they were installed countersunk.

8liter likes this.
  8. 8liter

8liter

Apr 30, 2009
    That's what I was learning after researching for some time. It's a shame. I'm having trouble intonating because the hardware is fubar and the saddle is rubbing against the housing due to the pitting material.

I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg to have a luthier convert the bass to something like a hipshot kickass bridge.

I did find this - Quality Classic Electric Bass Metal Single Bridge With Screws Accessories Tools | eBay

Looks to be a knock off of the mono-II

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Hello all, I have a BTB1406e that I absolutely love. Does that qualify me for membership here? Thanks!

10. Hello, ZMEbass76.

Yes, you are now a member of the BTB club.
    I don't know what your number is, but we'll figure that out.

I think you'll like it here. ;)

I have a BTB1205E.
    Mike

ZMEbass76 likes this.
  11. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Uh...no pics...

:p

12. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Here's my BTB... 20190713_134603.jpg 20190713_134343.jpg 20190713_134651.jpg

Outtaseezun, JamesNC, Zomb13 and 6 others like this.
  13. Symphony2040

Symphony2040 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    ZMEbass76 likes this.
  14. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Thanks! It does sound awesome! The tone palette is extremely versatile.

15. Symphony2040

Symphony2040 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    DanielW and Rickter like this.
  16. Wonderful news! :hyper:

Mike

Symphony2040 likes this.
  17. Rickter

Rickter Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Saw that announcement yesterday! I am VERY tempted, as I have been wanting a fretless 6 and I really miss my old BTB 6'r. Really wish Ibanez had shown up for Summer NAMM, maybe would have known about this one in advance.

Scarysharkface and Symphony2040 like this.
  18. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    First BTB. First 5 string.

Attached Files:

MikeOnBass73, DanielW and nutdog like this.
  19. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Anybody know what drop in replacement for the BTB 5-string is closest to the EMG DC pickup?