1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez BTB Club, Part 2!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Probably, the closest sounding drop-in replacements for Bartolini MK2/BH1 pickups to the EMG DC (dual ceramic bar magnet coils, providing punch and clarity with a crisp top end) are a pair of Bartolini H65CBC (dual ceramic bar magnet coils with lots of high-end clarity).

2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Ok great I was thinking Aguilar DCB but maybe the Barts are the way to go. I’m going for the Mike Gordon tone on the cheap. He plays a Modulus Q5 with EMG DCs.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I'm not aware Aguilar makes pickups with custom dimension housing, cause the MK2/BH1 pickup dimensions of 125 x 29 mm², which later Bartolini named as the H6 size, aren't used by any other pickup makers than Bartolini. I read Nordstrand would make a custom dimension housing and he had made custom order replacement pickups for the MK2/BH1.

This is if we were to talk about drop-in replacement. It would be different stories if you would approve using different smaller size pickups... or routing the pickup cavity for different (wider) dimension pickup, such as the EMG 45 DC (113.30 x 38.10 mm²), which still would leave quite noticeable about 6 mm gaps on both of the long end sides... or if you wouldn't mind using pickup frame to cover the gaps.

4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Ibanez is making BTB basses with Aguilar pickups now. I assumed the pickups are the same dimensions but I could be wrong.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Ibanez uses tons of pickups in various sorts of dimensions. Take a good look on the BTB1905 picture which link you provided:
    rpffomvp9mbue7ptybb2.jpg

versus your BTB675:
    dafa4cf9-d9d6-48b5-ba97-b69ba3a1f948-jpeg.jpg

Both basses feature the same 19 mm string spacing, same 35" scale length, and quite possibly the same nut width, but you can see the Bartolini BH1 pickups on your BTB extend longer to the sides quite noticeable than the width of all 5 strings on top of them, whilst the Aguilar pickups on the BTB1905 extend on the sides only a little. Thus the BH1s are longer than the Aguilars used on the BTBs.

6. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I think you’re right! Thank you!

Aidil likes this.
  7. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    The BTB-DX series was a limited run in Europe with a pair of EMG DC’s. I found one on reverb.

Stranger Danger likes this.
  8. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

20190922_134635.jpg

Oh yeah, I have my first ever Ibanez basses as of this year. Both were TB classifieds deals, a fretted BTB 6 and a defretted BTB 6. I had to put side dots stickers in the "right" place for an fretless and prefer unlined...previous owner had it filled very dark. Both are neck through.

Ken Smith Tapered SS on the fretted, Slick Rounds on the fretless from fretnation.com

I got into 6's after playing another guy's a few times over the winter, it's been a fun challenge to get used to it. The fretless has not made it out of the house yet but I do bring the fretted one with me sometimes.

Outtaseezun, Symphony2040 and Aidil like this.
  9. Symphony2040

Symphony2040 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    So after months of waiting, I was finally able to receive all of the parts in order to customize my BTB746. I've got to say...I'm incredibly pleased with the results.:D
    0003.png
    This was my first time customizing a bass on my own. I figured it would be a little fun project, despite myself not being a very 'handy' person. I actually went with @Npunk42 's suggestion to go with the gold knobs. I have to say...I'm very glad that I did! It really does make the burl on this bass pop! Here is a comparison shot. In the first picture, the bass is tuned ADGCFBb (Top 6 strings of a 7 string bass, tuned down a whole step). It is currently tuned in standard BEADGC tuning. This comparison should really show how beautiful the wood is in different lighting situations.
    BTB 746 Comparison Shot 3.png
    I don't mean to brag, but I've got to say that I am so lucky to have been able to score this gorgeous instrument when I did. To this day, I have yet to see an Ibanez BTB746 that has a top like this one. There is just something so...distinctive about it. You see, when looking at the instrument indoors under normal lighting conditions, it looks like a somewhat figured walnut top. The color of the top matches evenly when looking at it indoors. In some other lighting, it actually looks as though one side is entirely lighter than the other. Adding the gold hardware just really sets the look off, and it feels great to know that I own such an affordable instrument that inspires me to play.
    0020.png
    I attached some bonus shots! There is also an indoor picture as well, that way you could have a better idea of how the top looks in darker lighting. To be honest, the fingerboard is very beautiful as well. :hyper::bassist:
    0006.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Npunk42, Zomb13, BassmanM and 2 others like this.
  10. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Lovely! I must admit that the gold bling looks great with all that lovely wood. You should take a series of "garden gnome" pictures with your bass sitting in various lighting conditions in various settings around the world. :thumbsup:

Symphony2040 likes this.
  11. Symphony2040

Aug 7, 2008
    Haha, that actually wouldn't be a bad idea! :laugh::D

I actually forgot to mention, the tuners that I replaced the standard tuners with are the same Gotoh tuners used on Ibanez's premium series. I immediately felt the weight difference, but it is doable.

Also, even though I do like the gold knobs, I still intend on purchasing the plastic black knobs in the future (all small). I really like the way those type of knobs look on other brands. I remember someone comparing Ibanez's black knobs to that of a walkie-talkie, and that kind of stuck in my head when it was time to make a decision lol.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  12. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Well, after I updated the preamp, I put gold knobs onto a 6-string Peavey Cirrus (rather than the black) and I've got to say that I dug the look with the gold on the bridge and tuners and some pretty wood.

PeaveyCirrus6Post-Upgrades - 1.jpg

Npunk42 and Symphony2040 like this.
  13. sirdude23

sirdude23

Jan 15, 2013
    How many of ya'll have rounded off the top bout where your picking/plucking forearm rides against? Really considering doing this, but would like others opinions or pics of any that are altered. I know about using the sweat bands, etc., but this BTB issue makes playing uncomfortable compared to any of my SR's. thanks!

14. Symphony2040

Aug 7, 2008
    BEAUTIFUL!

Honestly, I just love the all gold look on brown top woods. I know some people think it's a bit much but, it looks very classy to me.

I'm curious, what kind of preamp did you decide to go with? I'm kind of curious based on the golden stacked knob.

15. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I have started pitching my elbow forward a bit, and floating a bit like Ox. I also use the sweatbands. It’s the only issue I have with my btb.

16. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Audere Classic: vol, bal, treble, hi-mid, low-mid, and bass. I'm a big fanboy for their products and have installed several in various basses.

17. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I did the same. I have the three-band Audere with the three-way mid selector switch and z mode switch. I changed-out the black plastic knobs for abalone capped gold knobs to match the abalone inlays on the fretboard. Finally, I got rid of the Neutrik locking jack and replaced it with a standard Switchcraft.

7F3D675E-FAB5-4893-835C-3B3FAA08F859.png

Outtaseezun and jmlee like this.
  18. cipruk

cipruk

Jan 18, 2010
    melbourne - jkt
    OMG Im so happy to find this thread.

My btb have been in hiatus for 5+ yrs and now that I'm start gigging again, took it out, never had anyone to talk to about this bass (no one around me seems to know much about btb).
    Will post some pictures if it when I get home, in the meanwhile, this is the only picture on my phone of her (cavity.. lol;)).
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-06 at 4.50.36 PM.jpeg

Some question on my mind around it:
    1. if one to change the neutrick locking thingy, what kind should fit comfortably (same dimension ?)
    2. I love NYXLs but pretty hard and expensive to come by where I am now. Would regular slinkys long enough to fit into this long beast ?

@lowfreqman nice setup ! how u liking the audere ? :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  19. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The regular Slinkys winding length is 37.25" whilst D'Addario regular (long scale) winding length is 37.1", thus the Slinkys would be long enough for your BTB.

Outtaseezun likes this.