1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez EUB for 2018

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by TolerancEJ, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Looks promising- especially from the workshop series. I’m disappointed they wouldn’t include any magnetic pickups - but not surprised

TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a NS Design ripoff. Probably a good idea for everyone but NS.

Veldar, jsf729, Les Fret and 3 others like this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I played a CR4M for several years. Rickenbacker made an EUB back in the 1930s. Should all subsequent EUBs be considered ripoffs of that concept?

rick-electro-01.

4. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I love NS Design instruments and still own an NS CR Cello, but they really did not invent the EUB... and I think were not first with the 34" scale EUB either.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    IIRC, the Dean Pace was the first production "standard" scale EUB at 35".

6. Totally a ripoff of the NS Design shape and mounting-style. Ibanez, I am disappoint.

If they come up with their own shape at a 42" scale, I'll be a lot more interested.

Robert Thompson and HateyMcAmp like this.
  7. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Love it -- provides choice in the 34" scale range. Great transition instrument for electric players. It looks good. I don't fault them for emulating NS Design. Maybe they even came out with something better after you start playing it. I don't like the $899 price tag though.

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    A 34" is not a transition for electric players. It just delays actually learning to play the double bass.

9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

an EUBG, electric upright bass guitar.

martinc, Fretless55, jsf729 and 2 others like this.
  10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    My first thoughts exactly!

-too bad it is 34" and not normal/proper upright size
    -too bad it also doesn't have a magnetic pickup
    -too bad the fingerboard is not ebony

11. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have noticed that the 34" scale is between the 1/8 and the 1/4 DB scale. How do you use your left hand finger technique of an instrument like this, finger setting 1-2-3-4 (as used on the electric bass) or 1-2-4 (as used on the upright bass)? I'll guess 1-2-4.

12. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I think you can do both. Just like on an electric bass. Whatever you want.

PauFerro likes this.
  13. moretolife

moretolife

Apr 21, 2010
    Does anyone know what kind of strings are on this bass? Are there traditional type strings for 34" like the NS strings?

14. It looks like the guitar maker made a violin.

15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had ordered one, but it looks like only a small batch is hitting the US shores. The rest due in April or later. Since I didn't make the reserve list, ordered a NS Design WAV4 Omni Bass instead which I got in two days!

16. ElGoodo

ElGoodo

Nov 27, 2017
    Austin TX
    It looks great, but how does it sound?

PauFerro likes this.
  17. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    I honestly don't see the advantage of having an EUB with a scale that short, either. Strings that short will have an attack-delay profile that will probably make it pretty useless for most types of music you'd usually use either an EUB or a DB for, IMHO.

After checking the video, I can see using it as an extra bass onstage for certain tunes -- it would be easier to switch to than a fretless BG because it's freestanding. Sounds like one, and no strap. :)

18. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fits in an overhead bin; sounds like something like a fretless BG. I have the NS Omni. It's great for what it is. A little pricey.

PauFerro and matthewbrown like this.
  19. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I want one. I just wish it was magnetic in pickups too -- will this give enough volume without feedback in live situations if piezo only? It sounded really cool with the bow!! That's something you can't get on an fretless electric bass guitar. And it it did have that floppy sound you sometimes get on uprights, but in a different way. I think it sounds unique, quite frankly.

Robert Thompson and mrbaloo like this.