1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Gary Willis GWB2 Fretted!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikey D, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    Has ANYBODY seen one of these for sale anywhere in the world at the moment!?

Used or New...

I have decided to sell my 6-er and want a matching partner for my fretless GWB35 as I love the sound and playability of these 5 strings, but do need a fretted bass.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

2. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Don't think they come fretted.

However, any good luthier can fret a frettless bass. I have had Mike Lull fret both a Turner Ren fretless and a Tacoma Thundercheif fretless bass with great results.

Just get another one and have it fretted. You can then also choose fret sizes.

3. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    They did originally make the GWB2 as a frette option, but I have never seen one. I would rather that than go to the fuss of fretting a fretless...

4. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    The GWB2 only came fretted. It's just a GWB1 with frets (and a trans flat black finish).

Good luck finding one (meant sincerely).

5. Chances are low of spotting one.

Ibanez has so many rare basses it's ridiculous (I've got one).

6. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    I've seen one in a big music store where I'm from. I didnt know it was called a GWB2 though. And its the one that's dark stained, not natural ash.

7. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    Fancy buying it and sending ti to me!? ;)

Out of interest how much is it?

8. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    Just a quick reminder bump incase someone has seen one.

On another note, does anyone know if any of the necks on other ibanez basses the same as the GWB35?

9. I was under the impression that the GWB was just a "custom" Soundgear. Since Garry used the higher end SR's before he got his custom.

10. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    If you can find a cheap used GW35 you could always have a builder fret the neck or you could give him your 35 fretless neck and have him make a copy. In the end it probably wouldnt be that much more than buying a used Fretted GWb1. I have only ever seen a couple in existence.
    Just some thoughts.
    PS from expierence, it is hard to find anything that matches up with the GWB basses. I wanted to upgrade the electronics in mine and i could only find one aftermarket pickup that fit the control cavity. Plus with that super tight spacing...you may have some problems with other stock ibanez necks. Plus they wont come with the awesome tuners and matching headstock. You may want to try the Ibanez forum.

11. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    I am currently thinking of just buying another and getting it professionally fretted. Of If something cheap turns up, supposedly the SR5's all have the same neck!? So may just keep an eye out for one of them I like.

I can always buy the tuners if I really want to from their spare parts, they areabout $160ish (I think).

The electronics diagrams incase you were interested(1st one is GWB35 the other is for all other GWBs)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Good luck finding one, they are very cool basses!

13. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Or you could just buy my fretless GWB 1 and have frets installed :)

14. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    Bumpzilla incase a GWB2 has surfaced recently!!?! As I can't get the ebonol fretted on the gwb35.

Or now as that is the case, has anybody seen a gwb1? As they have an ebony board that can be fretted. Cheers.

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    There's a GWB2 that was defretted currently on the 'bay, as well as a GWB1 that looks lovely.
    I just bought my trans-black GWB1, she's a sweet player (and you can see a huge difference in the fretboard between mine and the defretted GWB2 that's currently up for auction...doesn't look like the cleanest de-fret job).
    A while back I did a google search for GWB1 and found a GWB2, originally owned by Gary, for sale from a shop on NY (I think) at a pretty high price. It's likely still there if you want to search - it was like on page 4 or something of the google search.
    The GWB's are great basses.

16. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    Hmmm...that defret looks pretty bloody ropey! If only they had left the frets on it would have been an instant purchase! Ah well.

I can't find that other one you are talking about on google-you can't remember the name of the shop by any chance!? I search everyday in the hope that I can find one, so thought i would have seen this by now.

Also, the only problem with that GWB1 is he outright refuses to send it outside of the 48 states and I'm in the UK! bah!
    Thanks for your help though, hopefully soon I will be GAS free as well-forever! :)

17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  18. I've seen three GWB2's pop up within the few weeks.
    Two at the German ebay, other one went for 600+ euros and there's still one for sale, starting at 899 euros.

I also got to play one at the local store, 'twas a fabulous bass.
    But the price tag.. Around 1500 euros, too much for me :bag:

Kmrumedy likes this.
  19. m5th

m5th

Sep 25, 2008
    I've got one since few days. after 2 years of reseach :hyper:

Another one in a natural color is still available.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021