1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Lawsuit Rick with neck through

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davez134, Oct 3, 2013.

1. I got this off a local Craigslist ad and just finished setting this up. I am impressed with the sound of this bass! I have never owned or played a real Rick before so I can't compare sound or feel, but it really has great tone and sustain. (I had the pink DR neons lying around and figured they would look nice against the black/white)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_1511_zpsf4d8ca5b.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Wow, that's a great looking clone.

I had a Rickenbaker copy, also by Ibanez (I think) and it wasn't nearly that nice.

Looks like they really nailed that one!

3. Thanks! I'm really happy with it. I was looking for something I could take out and play that wasn't too expensive. I am pleasantly surprised and think I got way better than I expected.

4. That's quite cool. I'd prefer one of those to a actual Rick. Have fun!

5. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    That's really nice. I had one of those a long time ago and it was great. I would really like to find another one some day.

6. Nice.. I ordered a new one in 1977 that had the correct Ric style pickups. Mine was bolt neck, and I think I paid $220... waited forever to get it. From what I recall the neck through was an extra $100. I sold mine around '80, but found another a few years ago. I am a Ric freak, and own a 4003 today. But the Ibanez bolt neck played every bit as good, and sounded great also... in my humble opinion, more clear than current Ric pickups, and more like Geddy's tone from the 70's.

7. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Beautiful bass. congrats.

8. Lesfunk, I thought about selling to help fund a real one, but I kinda prefer it now ( cost may have a little to do with it haha)

9. Very nice!
    My friend's dad had an Ibanez 4001 Clone back in the 80's. I did a side-by side comparison with the Ricky 4001 I owned at the time and they were close...

10. love it

11. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    that is without doubt the best looking Ric clone I have ever seen! Good find

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I recently got a Japanese Ric copy that looks very similar(neck-through w/chex binding)in natural. The cover just says "electric bass" with "made in Japan" in small script next to the nut. The only marks it had were some hand painted Japanese characters under the neck pickup. Turns out it says "washburn".
    mj4s.
    [​IMG]

13. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I love those Ric clones.

14. Love that color lowphat. Very cool about lettering too.

15. Nice bass! Congrats!

I really dig old, discontinued Ric knockoffs but have a strong dislike for newer ones. I know that's all in my head so please, no flaming.

That Ibby is in about the best shape I've seen one in.

16. I tried searching for info with no luck. Can someone point me toward any resources to identify the serial number?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    IIRC, it should be Month, year, production number.
    So, that one would be April (d), 77 (1977), 6015.
    Meaning 6015 unit for unit run, produced in Apr 77.
    Unit run may indicate total num. produced from all Ibanez production for the year.

Oar, something like that. I have been drinking.

BTW, nice looking bass. reminds me of my old Ibanez Ric, a sunburst that was pretty much everything I could expect from a Ric-type instrument, having played several real Rics. It was pretty, it looked sweet, and I sold it with (mostly) no regrets. Not for me. Still, you have a really nice looking bass there. Enjoy!

18. Awesome thank you! I too have been drinking, as you may be able to tell by background of picture.

19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Well, if you have had 6 large cups of something, you may be slightly ahead of me. Slightly.
    But, I think, if I dedicate myself, I can catch up.
    You have given purpose to my evening. Thank you.

Regardless... Nice bass.

20. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Like others have said, April of '77. That was the beginning of a GREAT period for Ibanez, and should be high quality.