Ibanez newer models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProDigit, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    can anyone just make a wild guess if, and when Ibanez is going to publish their newest models?

I mean, their SR400 series where followed up by the SR500 series.
    (When)Do you think we can expect something similar with the 500 series being succeeded by something like a 600 series?

A con would be, that Ibanez allready released a SR700 series in the past, and might wanna name the newer series more like 510 or 550. But the name doesn't really matter. I'd really wanna know if they would improve their series, and if so, when would that be do you think?

I'm really anctious to get one out of the stores! :hyper:
  2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Off topic: I played one of the Korean SR500s today and was significantly impressed. Top notch. The electronics were great, the tone was awesome, felt great to play, and has a great look and overall feel. I highly recommend that anyone looking for a bass in this price range look into one. I'd love to try out a SR506. I had a SR406 and loved it. Should've never sold it!

3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Just to clarify, you are talking about the SR500 and not the SRX500 series? I like the newer SRX line quite a bit- very good value.
  4. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'm talking about the SR500.

5. I think they're good basses. Unfortunatelly, half of the people here will bash them because of their name.
    I hope Ibanez starts naming their basses in another way (then again, I'd buy a Roadstar 3 without thinking twice :) )
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They previously discontinued the SR500 line for the SR400, and now they brought it back. They also changed the RG350DXWH to the RG250DXWH and back again.

They have a bad habit of changing model names.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Correct. When I bought my SR505 back in the mid 90's, the SR400 line was the non-active lower model line. The SR500 line was the active model line. Then the 500 model line went away and the 400 line was made active.
  8. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    One thing that kinda made me mad though, is that I had a SR406 from the late 90s which was awesome... very nice active EQ, great setup, playability, craftsmanship, and came with black hardware stock. Then they changed some things around, started making those basses more cheaply (and it was easily noticed) by lowering the craftsmanship a bit, the EQ seemed to be a little noisy, the black hardware was changed to a cheapy chrome, and overall, I just thought the basses were nothing like the late 90s 406s, but they kept the same model number. So while I understand what you guys are saying about them changing the model names and numbers a lot, I happen to think that's a good thing sometimes. I think when they changed the SR400 line to the cheaper hardware and eq and all that, they should've adopted a new model name for those basses.

Also, I paid over $700 for my 406, and the cheapy newer ones were offered in Musicians Friend for around $585. Made the re-sale value on my 406 plummet, basically.

9. ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    I finally bought the SR505 one.

I hope you won't mind I only payed 610€ for it? that's still 780$ though :oops:

What I heard about this was, that they installed new pickups on the thing. Bartolini MK1, supposedly bartolini technology made in Korea.
    I compared the SR505 With the bartolini MK1 pickups, and the SR905 with original Bartolini pickups, and couldn't help but notice, that the originals have less noise, but also less bass arround 220Hz; it might also be the MK1 pickups being installed closer to the strings though....

there was a very small noise(when opening the gain, or High EQ), that appears as soon as you touch the strings lightly, or when they give off vibration. I suppose there to be a kind of noise gate in the pickups to save batterypower. This meaning that this guitar isn't really suited for soft playing, or precision playing (unlike for instance my sister's Jazz bass or Precision bass).
    It has a good dynamic, and a great sound. I suggest it emanates a more warm feeling (the sound, but also the dark wooden looks)

I have to say about this guitar:
    + nice shape!
    + Nice, warm sound!
    + good material!
    + lightweight guitar
    + Comes with Elixir strings
    + price/performancewise probably the best arround
    + Very nice shape, edges nicely rounded off..
    + small head, and great balance (guitar's head will not fall downwards when taking your hands off the neck).

Though the head could be made little smaller giving the guitar a bit of less wheight, which is always positive to have the head rather 'fall' upwards then downwards, when having the bass arround your shoulders with a strap.

- Pickups seem to release noise that can't be heard when strings are completely silent (due to inner noisegate), so touching the strings lightly will give off some noise.
    - strings resonate very easely with other strings (problems which said to be solved on the 905 series with the other type of bridge (forgot name, and don't care to look up)).
    - overtones, or harmonic tones are very easely heard (almost everywhere over all the strings; this could be due to the pickups/strings-spacing being close, or the delivered elixir strings.
    - Frame only in one color

that's about it I noticed, I think... :)
  10. ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    SRX series are the extremeline of the SR series. they seem to be more rock based, with stronger pickups having a greater dynamic. Yes, I liked the sound of the SRX better, but not the looks, and the feel.

I might be able to switch pickups, but then I'd rather choose some real good (even better)pickups, like 200$ pickups to install in that Ibanez.
  11. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I agree with ProDigit's opinion on the sound of the SRX500. Although I haven't played any other Ibanez basses, the SRX500 is dynamic, darkish, and pumps out some nice chest-through mids through my 4x10 (can hit nice lows, but not as warm and booty-shaking as precision). I love it for the hard rock songs (AC/DC) my band plays. For the classic rock songs that need warm, fat, moving lows (Skynrd, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty), I use my Fender P. If I didn't have the luxury of the P-bass, I'd have no problem using the SRX to cover the lighter stuff (I have a nice preamp to smooth out the tone).
  12. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    wasnt there a thread about this like a week ago. After watching the John Myung bass concept video, i kinda want my sr506 to stay. But my craving for a warwick supercedes that.

IMO the 506 is friggin amazing, maybe ill get a nother 6 stringer some time in the future.