1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez or Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maya403, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Maya403

Maya403

Dec 22, 2012
    ?

2. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Which models?

3. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Ibanez

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    !

5. Maz

Maz

Jan 9, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Ibanez, hands down. Fender is tired. Ibanez has more variety. Fender has "classic" sound... which is tired.

IBTL!

6. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

Mar 19, 2013
    Ibanez. I liked a Fender jazz bass, but it was about $1500 and only felt as good as a $300 Ibanez.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Why not both?

198a.

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    It depends what you like.
    Fender has that Fender kind of sound, look and feel,
    and the Ibanez is more reminiscent of an Ibanez.

9. I'd go for both. Ibanez has some DAMN good basses that I wouldn't pass up, but my fender "squier series" jazz is my old standby.

10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I can't feel the difference between cheap Ibanez necks and expensive ones, so I wouldn't get a midrange Ibanez. I would either get a cheap one and put in my own electronics, or get a high end one that comes with Nordstrands. I don't care for the Bart MK1s myself.

11. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Fender. I've tried out a lot of Ibanez stuff and haven't liked anything. The artcores look cool but sound weak to me. Some others sound ok but have neither the feel nor look that I like. It's subjective of course, but I've never really thought of Ibanez as being in the same league as Fender and other big names. YMMV, IMHO, etc.

12. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I've never EVER gotten a call for a session whereby the person on the other end of the phone says, "Do you play an Ibanez?"

13. I prefer Ibbys.... feel and sound.

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    While I have quite a few Ibanez basses and like them, I have to say a good Fender bass has a different feel and sound that I've yet to see any Ibanez bass duplicate. So, best answer I can give is, have both. Can't compare the two really.
    One thing I have to add, is that the quality of Ibanez basses are across the board, you may have two of the same model and one will be fine, the other may be a blatant lemon. That's my latest problem I have to deal with in regards to my two latest purchases of two Ibanez basses. lol.

15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Warmoth or Carvin

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The good folks at Ibanez were super dicky to me just for calling them 20 years ago, and nothing they have made since has impressed me enough to forgive and forget.

Fender. Not even close for me.

17. Never played an Ibanez, so I don't know what they're like, but I'd certainly be willing to give them a shot.
    Having said that, as it is now, I'd rather go with a known (to me) quantity, and that would be Fender/Squier.

18. Really? Care to elaborate?

19. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I once used to record with my ubiquitous (back in those days) Ibanez Sr405, and I was very comfortable with it: needless to say studio engineer was very good friend of mine, at the start of his career and, bein' raised together, he perfctly knew how to capture nuances of my playin' (both Killin' Joke fans back then) even if playin' regularly tuned, with a pick, thru an electronic processor, and with an all active bass

Whenever I eventually got call for someone else's recordin' material, I understood what Fender's (Jazzes) were there for...

That's the sound each and every studio engineer has in his head and looks for, while I switched to Jazzes for obvious neck width reason.

Now I have many of the basses I back in the day only could dream of, and I love Ibanezes (especially Atks, especially playin' live) yet no more Soundgears here around.

Cheers,
    Wallace

20. Digital Man

Digital Man

Feb 20, 2013
    Ibanez hands down!