1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Portamento Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vmabus, May 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    I love the Chrome XLs though, and have no issue with the sound or tension, but maybe I do need to check these out. Thanks for the tip!

tellheryousawme likes this.
  2. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    The problem is that I haven't found a tone I DON'T like from this bass. It's all degrees of good.

Ghook and Idle Plucker like this.
  3. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania
    What strings are you using? I don't mind the occasional clack, especially when I really dig in. I have my action slightly higher than most other fretless players I know - I don't chase the 'mwah' and use almost exclusively the neck pickup +/- the piezos. I like a deep warm thumpy tone even on a fretless.

4. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    The Chrome XL's that came on it.

5. It seems that a few players here, myself being one, like the the neck and piezo pups, but not so much the bridge pickup.

Odd.

Mike

6. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    The bridge solod sounds way to honky. I use it to add character to the tone and control the amount of mwah depending on the tune.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. I like the neck and bridge together, reminds me of a 70s jazz, but not the bridge solo.

Mike

8. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I play my Porta daily and I have never owned a bass with what seems to be an infinite palate of tone. I constantly blend bridge , piezzo and neck to the point I'm thinking of finding numbered position markers for under the knobs in order to catalog the various combos. The only other guitar I own that has that seemingly infinite tonal landscape is my LesPaul 6 stringer. Needless to say, I am really glad I purchased this bass

9. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    I have even further luck with my Whirlwind Bass Ten EQ pedal. Really lets me dial in the tones I want and cut the ones I don't.

10. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US

Just checked those out on YouTube. My only pedal is my Zoom B1 that I mostly use for it's drum tracks. I have always played dry...EQ is not an effect IMO...bass and guitar with just a smidge of delay, light verb. I think I might have some fun with pedals for my bass, the whirlwind being included

11. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    I run a Bigshot IO input switcher, a TU-3 tuner, a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor, the Bass 10, and a volume pedal. None of which I consider effect. The EQ took some mud out of the low B string and the boominess out when playing in bars. I was going to get a Boss EQ, but I wanted the extra bands for my extra strings :)

Zoobiedood likes this.
  12. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I just bought my first 5 string. Ibanez 105.
    The idea of extra bands makes alot of sense as does a comp. I have a Volume pedal that I mostly use with my Lapsteel. I agree, what you have would be a pretty clean setup by my own definition

13. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    I learned some cool stuff while researching the EQ's. The difference is makes, although subtle, on my tone is awesome and it really helps me come through the mix when playing live.

Ghook likes this.
  14. Depends what sound I need and how much of a hurry I’m going to be in when I need to change sounds. If I’m using the piezo for e.g. swing (big band) then need to make a quick switch to a more rocky sound I’ll preset the tone by rolling up the bass and maybe backing off the treble a bit and use the bridge pickup. Then I can just turn down the piezo and turn up the bridge, ready to go. If I’ve got more time and can afford to make test sounds between numbers I’ll blend the magnetics rather than turning the bass level much above flat, it’s a slightly better sound and doesn’t risk overloading the amp with bass boost.
    I agree that the bridge pickup can sound too honky, but you can get round that with the amp e.q. settings. It’s an excellent bass, very impressed with the thought that’s gone into the design. Mine seems to work really well with D’Addario black nylon tapes.

15. I have the Boss GEB-7, and it is a very good unit, but if anyone reading this wants to get the last EQ you'll ever buy, consider this: The Empress Para EQ.
    20190812_191132~2.jpg
    A little expensive at $250, and has a long learning curve (at least for me) until you really understand what it can do, but when you are familiar with it, it can do almost anything. And, it will work with any instrument.
    This thing can split hairs, EQ~wise.

Mike. ;)

BritFunk likes this.
  16. Hello again, everyone.
    I took some pictures of my Stingray yesterday, and I was so happy with them, I decided to take some pictures of the bass that's pretty much tied for favorite bass with my Stingray, and that's my Ibanez Portamento.

By the way, I'm not seeking praise for my picture taking, but rather would be delighted if someone who doesn't own a Portamento sees these pictures, and then buys one! ;)
    Enjoy.
    Mike _IGP0025.jpg
    _IGP0018.jpg
    _IGP0010.jpg

17. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Hi,

Been awhile since I posted here. I just sold off my German Warwick corvette Fretless and my Conklin 7, and picked up one of these SRF706 Portamento basses. Both the basses I gave up were beautiful and played and sounded great in their own right. But the Conklin is huge, and the Warwick had almost no ‘mwah’.

This new bass has ‘mwah’ on all strings but the low B.

I had looked at these years ago. First one I ever played was a 4 string that had the mwah. Went back to buy it two days later, and it was gone.

I’ve seen them pop up at various places since then, but never did they have that sound. For awhile I thought I was losing my mind. How could that first one have sounded so wonderful, and then the rest not?? So I sorta gave up on them.

Then last week I saw one locally, this 6 string. I tried it and WOW, MWAH!!!

I went back for it last night, Warwick and Conklin in hand. Luckily I did, because two other folks seemed quite interested in it! Got nearly enough credit for my two basses to pay for the Ibanez outright.

Anyway, I’m glad to now be a member of the Portamento 6 club. I’m gonna stay with the stock strings, as they sound and play great. And for those of you interested in the Portamento line, my experience says you have to play them to find out if they will sound good or not. I would not order this online.

kirkdickinson and McThumpenstein like this.
  18. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    I ordered mine online (Sweetwater has a great return policy) and had never played one. I read a LOT of info about it here before I bought, and watched a few videos on Youtube. No regrets.
    I think the Mwah you're looking for has a bit to do with the setup of the bass itself. It's possible the others you played that didn't have it had higher action.

19. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Actually, I went to the trouble of getting the stores to give me Allen wrenches to adjust the saddles on some of those basses. Even had the tech in one store do a setup - it didn’t help.

But it worked out well in the end. This new bass is wonderful. The Conklin and Corvette were not being played any more. Time for them to find their way to owners who will play them.

McThumpenstein likes this.
  20. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Almost forgot, I have to post a pic in order to get a number.

Incidentally, I’m finding that it sounds most like an upright on the four lowest strings. No surprise, as those are roughly the same thickness as the strings on an upright.

08DC3A79-B0D7-4345-A435-5C6B677FBB88.jpeg