1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stampy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have been eyeing the 4 string SR500 for quites some time now. What do you guys think is the best bang for the buck in the SR series.

2. SR300FM. Very versatile, great feel, good weight, good price. They're around $400. Great finish too.

3. I've only ever heard good things about it over here, I was looking at a 500 and a 400 on e-bay here but something else has come up so I'll carry on looking after Christmas, if you get one can you post what you think of them.

4. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    used prestige (any number over 1000) or the SR500 if you can't find one.

5. Probably the one you're thinking of - SR500 (with Barts). I got a SR400QM because I loved the finish much better. If you like narrow/thin necks ... Ibanez SR is the way to go! Most people here have nothing but good things to say about it. I wish mine came with the Barts. I'm sure you will just love it, and how easy it is to play. Comes with Elixirs.

6. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I've got the SR505. Brilliant bass. You won't be disappointed.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    For a new bass, the SR500 is a nice deal. However, I've bought several used SR800's for between $175 and $250 recently, and I like them better than the 500.

8. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    The SR500 was my first bass, and it's absolutely fantastic. While it is definitely a cheaply built bass, it feels and sounds a lot better than anything else I've tried in its price range. The SR4 neck still stands in my mind as the most outrageously comfortable neck I've ever played on, it's the closest thing to a perfect neck profile I've ever felt.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, the necks are incredible.

10. Calvan

Calvan

May 13, 2008
    San Diego
    i'm gasing for that new SR 755

11. just got a 506 used off the classifieds here..

the body does seem pretty cheapo but the neck is shaped nice, and the electronics are great for the price (considering you can easily spend more than the price of this bass on pickups + preamp combo alone). Not very transparent, but super versatile. You can dial in alot of zing or alot of warmth. action is super low too..

I just wanted a budget 6 string to mess around with chords but I think I am going to actually get some decent use out of this thing.

12. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I messed around with an SR500 the other day at GC, and that thing really impressed me. I've owned several Ibanezes, and I've always loved how they felt, but I'd never really had the tone I was looking for. The SR500 with the Barts totally nailed that tone. I've definitely recommend checking one out.

13. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have played the SR500 twice at my local Sam Ash. The first time was through a stack of Hartke which was great then the second time I went back when I bought my BA115 I literally played through a wall of Ampegs and my knees buckled lol. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

14. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Oh yeah, I was playing the SR500 through a Peavey VB-2 stack (believe it was going through a 4-10 and 1-15). The VB-2 sounded great clean, but the distortion was a little weak.

15. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Without a doubt the 500. The prestige basses are very good, but IMO a little too pricy - I'm talking of course about buying them new.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a 506 and it's definitely a lot of bass for the money. I originally bought it to kind of ease myself back into the 6-string world, but it quickly became my main player. I'm not ashamed to admit that I like its tone better than my Rick's, which goes for three times the Ibby's price... just goes to show that price isn't everything.

17. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    SR505... has a great B string that is not wimpy or sloppy

18. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    sr500 is a great bass for the money, and it's not half bad looking either. my first bass was an sr300 which was pretty nice as well, but it's finish is no where near as nice as the sr500.

19. I had one of the newer SR500s for a while and it was a fantastic bass. I'm not sure about the one earlier quote from doctorjazz:

"While it is definitely a cheaply built bass, it feels and sounds a lot better than anything else I've tried in its price range."

The term "cheaply built" never came to mind when I owned this bass. Everything was really solid, the hardware was great, and the fretwork was perfect. To me, the bass felt like a much more expensive bass. Compare this bass to a MIM Fender jazz (which is only a little cheaper) and see which one impresses you more in terms of build quality, components, and sounds..... It's no contest - the SR500 is far superior in all areas.