1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR506BM string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leif Bas, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Leif Bas

Leif Bas

Dec 27, 2006
    I suffer from 6-string GAS. How does the string spacing on the 506 compare to "standard Fender"?

2. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    16,5mm, it is pretty tight. Ever played a Warwick sixer? It has the same spacing. Extremely comfortable to play if you can manage the spacing, some just don't like it. I have a 6 with 15mm, and I find it very comfortable even when slapping. Try it.

Fender standard spacing is about 20mm, 3,5mm doesn't sound like it would be a big difference, but it is. Some like tighter spacing, some hate it.

It is a great sixer for the price though :bassist:

3. Leif Bas

Leif Bas

Dec 27, 2006
    Thank you Jonah - that gave me something to think about. 16,5 mm is a wee bit tighter than my Tobias Standard 5 with 17mm. I can stand it, but after a few hours my right hand is tired and aching. This doesn´t happen with any of my Fenders.

4. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Aug 13, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Social Media and Sales: www.creamcitymusic.com
    16.5 mm on the ibanez

switching from that to a P bass is a B**** and is not my favorite thing to do...

5. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Aug 13, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Social Media and Sales: www.creamcitymusic.com
    Ibanez BTB 6 stings are 18mm

6. Leif Bas

Leif Bas

Dec 27, 2006
    For me it´s the other way around...

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very tight compared to a standard Fender... I can play either comfortably, however, the depth of the Ibby's neck prevents me from buying one.

8. What bass is that [15mm]?

9. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    The one at the right:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]