1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR600 or Cort B4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xantometapon, Feb 26, 2013.

1. xantometapon

xantometapon

Jan 23, 2011
    Hi friends.

I am considering buying one of these basses and have not decided yet.
    I cannot try them because I am lefty and they are not available in stores.

I know they are very similar basses as they are both made of ash and share the same pickups and ( I believe) electronics.

Main difference I think is the neck.

Cort´s is a little wider, a little thicker and it´s made of wenge and maple.
    Ibanez´s is a little thinner and narrower and made of jatoba and bubinga.

I would like to try the thin neck of the Ibanez but on the other side I would like to try the wenge neck of the Cort...

Have any of you tried both?
    Which one did you buy and why?

Thanks

2. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I own a Cort B5, a BTB555, a BTB456,and a ATK. From my perspective I have not been able to bond with the my B5 despite it's being a very nice bass and I really, really want to but it just isn't happening. Part of it may be the narrow string spacing on the Cort. However, all my Ibanez basses fit like a glove. Wish I could give you more info relating to those specific basses. If it were me based upon my experiences I probably would buy the Ibby.

3. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Cort makes good basses (heck, they're also making the Ibbys), but compared to a SR neck, the Cort neck feels a bit cumbersome. SR's ergonomy and playability is second to none. I guess it's down to personal preferences.

As for tone, in general they do share the same MIK Barts, but to my ears Corts sound a bit more nasal.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    ^^^^^^^^^
    What he said.

While I like the wenge neck's there is nothing wrong with the construction on newer Ibanez necks. The Corts are nice and seem to be of similar build quality but the handful I've played always felt slightly off to me... not really sure why. Again all personal preference.

5. xantometapon

xantometapon

Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks friends.

Anybody else?

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Both share ash natural open pore finishings, poor pricetags and
    poor resale value, Bartolini Mk1 electronics and provenience.

That said, if Ibanez wins over Cort in ergonomy Cort wins over Ibanez in playability and the opportunity to switch electonics off, instead of switchin' midrange frequency.

I bet Ibanez would sound good with electronics switched off as well (much like they do on Premium models) but Cort already offers this opportunity: three band equalizer, whenever you need hifi kinda sound, on/off switch whenever you need a pure passive, recordin' wise attack

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. lennie28

lennie28

Feb 25, 2013
    I play an SR500 and recently bought a second hand BTB405 and love them both.

What I love most about the SR500 is its thin neck and the bass itself is really light and so easy to play, I assume the SR600 is similar. I've played the SR505 too and IMO the SR range are simply all excellent basses.

8. I just bought an Ibanez SR600 Natural Flat... it's lovely.. and it's a much darker sounding Ibanez but I love it... took me some getting use to after playing my sr300 with the maple neck.. but ill tell you.. SR models have always been my thing because of the neck measurements especially.

I would go with the SR.. but thats just me.

9. Having owned & played both, I'd go with the Cort. I find Ibanez basses a little too small & lacking in tonal range. Their necks feel like they're designed for christmas elves, too. So narrow. :( Never could get the action on one set up the way I liked it.

My 6 string BTB neckthru being the only exception.

10. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It surprised me when I found out that Jatoba is 2350 on the hardness scale (one of the hardest woods) and Wenge is 1630. Although I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor, the harder wood (Jatoba) would generally be more resistant to warp. Grain direction and other factors also apply, but hardness is a good thing to have on your side.

11. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    given the necks are bigger than a strat i guess Jimi, Eric, Ritchie, Stevie et al were all Christmas Elves?

12. Did I say they were bad basses? No. Their necks are small. Was there a need to be so literal, instead of seeing metaphor for what it is?

13. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    In my opinion, the thing of beauty about the SRs is the slick, small necks. They fit perfectly in my hand, and are easy to play.

Its hard to even compare the two bases on the fact that the necks are different.

14. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I recently played an SR500 which shares the same pickups & electronics as the 600. I loved the playability but wanted more boost from the bass knob.

The mids control was very effective & responsive. The treble was pretty good, too.

I wanted to be able to get thunderous bass out of it but couldn't.

15. I purchased an SR600, and glad I did. It's lightweight with a smaller body, and an awesome neck with 3band EQ. I can't comment on the Cort - I've always been an Ibby guy.

IMG_0383.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    As an Ibanez guy, I would say go with the Ibanez sr600. Ibanez makes great sounding basses. these basses has a smooth warm punchy sound and the sr600 is equipped with bartolini pick-ups and it has a 3-band eq for tone-shaping capabilities. also these basses are light-weighted. cort makes great basses too, but I personally would chose Ibanez.