1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ID this speaker plug

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. What is this called and where can I find more??
  2. It looks like a weird, maybe old banana type jack. Maybe? :confused:
  3. Quality


    May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    What's it hooked up to? You might be able to track it back thriough the manufacturer.
    Like DMB said, it looks like some sort of banana plug.
    Plus it looks polarized since one side looks like it's a bigger diameter than the other.
    Can't say I've seen anything like it before though. Definately looks old school.
  4. tadawson


    Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It's definitely not a bananna. I have seen these on older stuff - like late 1960's and early 70's, and it is two pins of different sizes (keyed, as it were) on a piece of phenolic. When you get right down to it, the pins are tube socket parts, and the plug they went into was very much like a tube socket as well. I don't know what the name was (of if they had one) but I would suspect that the only place you could find those now may be the antique electronics places.

    If that were truly the speaker output, and unless I was determined to keep the amp "vintage", myself I would replace it with something more recent . . . . .

    - Tim
  5. Passinwind

    Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

    Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Try Antique Electronics, Angela, or Triode Electronics. All of those guys should be familiar with that format. It was commonly used on old PA amps 30-50 years ago. Bogen could probably still sell you some. I might have an extra one or two kicking around, I'll check my shop tomorrow. I generally hardwire a 1/4" (sorry Tim!) inline female jack and run the wires through the female panel jack, wiring to the terminals inside. That way you can use a regular speaker cable from then on, and you can reverse the mod at any time.
  6. barthanatos

    barthanatos Insert witty comment here

    Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina

    Yeah, why do you want to find more? For use? There's plenty of plugs you could find at Home Depot / Lowe's that that would plug into (if you mixed sizes). But if you're asking just for function's sake, I'd cut that off and put something else on.

    If it's vintage info you want, tell us everything about what it is hooked up to.
  7. All-

    Thanks for the responses.

    This is the male end of a speaker cord which plugs into the speaker output of a 1952 VM model 160 tube amp.

    It is polarized. One "prong" is a larger diameter.

    If at all possible I'd like to keep the amp stock otherwise I'd convert to 1/4.
  8. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You want more of the PLUG end?

    I'll look around. I have a bunch of odd stuff like that that I don't toss just because of situations like yours.

    Do you have any dimensions?

    There are a number of similar plugs that were used as the "interlock" on TVs. Cord and socket to fit that was riveted onto the back cover, so if you took it off the TV was unplugged......

    Some are both pins the same, some are not.
  9. For some reason this reminds me of a time when I played guitar in a band in '67. The bass player had built himself a couple of VERY homemade cabs,and for lack of good sense, he used AC outlets for the jacks. That way he could use regular extension cords for cables.

    One day as we were setting up for rehearsal, he was plugging in his gear and..............shucks, you know the rest of this story!!
    You think a speaker will go quickly when an amp goes DC? Try 110v AC!!
  10. That's funny.
  11. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis

    I've seen people do that. A lot of sound companies did that back in the day..... don't ask me if I ever did....

    Most of them had the sense to use an uncommon type of Hubbel twist-lock that kept polarity, allowed biamp signals, and wasn't likely to be found at the job. They made up their own cables.

    Using a regular target store extension cord as a speaker cable has to rank as one of the silliest, dangerous, idiocies in what is to begin with an admittedly non-standard industry........

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.