Ideas for approach to Bach etudes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bherman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    In my case I broke the part into smaller pieces to make easier to remember and then I worked on the tempo and then on the dynamics, because some part need to be played forte, pianissimo, a crescendo etc

2. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Yea I am breaking it into 1 pg sections and will then strong them together.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Agree with Mushroo and Jeff that the pieces are meant to be musical first and foremost; the technical aspect is just the means to that end. When I started studying the cello suites on the double bass, it was after having listened to performances by great cellists for years and having that sound and conception in mind. I would recommend doing some listening and finding inspiring recordings of whichever piece you are studying first, then diving into the piece with that sound in your ear. FWIW I don't find the recordings that come with that book very inspiring at all.

Once you have the sound in mind, try to imitate it as best you can on your instrument - the phrasing, articulation, dynamics, contour, etc. When you do this you'll find that there are a lot of places where your technique gets in the way. At that point, you'll know what to work on. I like to practice each new piece very slowly and choreograph the physical movements that make the music flow.

Good luck, and enjoy! This is some of the most beautiful music on the planet.

bherman and Mushroo like this.
  4. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I done it like this. If it's not too challenging I do the whole thing over and over again for weeks at a time till I get it to a certain point. Then I keep coming back to it at least once a day while working on something new.

NOW...if the piece is hard that you are working on, I focus on a bar at a time. If you are capable to do more bars then by all means do it. For instance on my acoustic guitar I am working on this Beethoven piece and it's not easy. So focusing one bar at a time till I have it right. Then moving onto the next bar, and then going back to the previous bar(s) and working my way to the new bar and so on. Also, I am doing other songs with it that have similar chords and fingering and that too helps speed up the process of developing strength, accuracy, and consistency.

bherman likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021