1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideas for transporting cables, etc

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Besides a bag. Doesn't need to be big, but needs to allow me to keep adapters etc separate. I used to use a bag or a plastic bin, but wondering what cool stuff you guys use. Fender briefcase??? Um, no.

2. Harbor freight sells Aluminum cases in silver and black. One is obviously better for metal.
    I have that I keep auto diagnostic stuff in, but it would hold a micro amp and a lot of cables

3. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I use a plastic case that used to carry lighting samples (in the industry).
    Fits all my cables etc. About 20" x 16" x 10". Tough enough.

4. I will try to swing by and hopefully one of the local HFs will have one I can check out.

5. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Snare bag or snare case for cables
    Tool box for adapters, tools, zip ties
    Tape, cable tester. Etc

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Not as many cables and adapters as you have, but my Mono case that holds my basses has a lot of pockets. It's where I keep at least three cables, extra batteries, needle nose pliers, etc.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Extension cord reels for mic cables end to end. Cheap and effective.

8. iamalex123

iamalex123

Feb 12, 2012
    I keep my bass rig cables in a heavy duty cabelas bag, the cables for my PA, go in a extra road case i had lying around. Adapters, patch cables, short insert snake, and often used tools go into an EMT trauma case that i have. Big lower section, with two drawers. Very handy, durable as anything

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Black plastic footlockers...get 'em at Lowes and such for ~$20. For sorting smaller cables, adaptors, etc., I use CPAP carry bags as combination sorting bins / dividers. For the really big stuff, we use a fairly sturdy Rubbermaid storage bin w/ snaptop. Cables go on orange plastic ext. cord reels. Once set-up, our guitarist pops his monitor on top.

Riis

10. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I house most all of my cables, power strips, extension cords etc.. in an old plastic milk crate. I have an old brief case I keep all my finer cables(computer, patch, usb, etc) in along with adapters, hard drives, USB drives and such. I have a back pack with specialty items, recording stuff, I Pod/ I Pad, wireless, computer fans. I can fit my whole setup for playing bass on a flat hand cart. Instrument cables stay in the bass case with straps and tuners. The PA..that's another multiple trip story. Oh..I use those velcro type cables ties to keep the cables nice along with prohibiting anybody from "helping" me pack up.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  12. Tuned

Tuned

Dec 6, 2007
    Something that's been working well for me is a laptop backpack, with the obvious benefit of carrying it on your back. I also have a have a carry-on style laptop bag, the type made to sit above the kind with wheels and extending handle. It has a retracting shoulder strap, also very handy.

I hate cable ties, I've been using knots for thousands of shows, never had a cable die from a knot. Just don't yank them tight, get them close and give them a gentle pinch. It's way faster than cable ties, which I find are more in my way than of any help. If a cable can't handle a knot it doesn't belong on stage.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's not a good practice. Over time the knots will start to internally dislodge the shielding, making the cable susceptible to interference and giving it a kinky appearance (I know some of you guys are into that, Maki). This will happen with cables of any quality (Mogami, Belden, Canare, etc.).

14. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    For standard trio gigs with two powered speakers on stands.

1zvu3id.

I also usually have a Shure mic pouch in there that contains a 4 way screwdriver, sharpies etc.

These are for the bigger jobs. For some reason it came out sideways:meh:

9k5oo9.

the black box holds the snake(s). One trunk has power cables in it, the other mic and speaker. The one with the mic and speaker cables has a tray in the top that I made that holds mic cords 12 ft and under and any other special bits.

15. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
  16. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    I use a small backpack for all my cords, a power strip, extension cord, etc. I also keep one of those 6 pack coolers in the bottom of it for those gigs that the owner charges us for beverages.

17. Doug R

Doug R

Jan 27, 2011
    Spokane, WA USA
    We have a small, rolling hard shell airline-type suitcase, about 1-ft by 2-ft. Tilt it back, pull up the handle and roll it around - never lift and carry another crate or bag.

A divider (with zipper pockets) snaps down to divide the main part of the case from the other space under the lid.

We roll-up our mic, speaker & guitar cords and toss them in the big main section; extension cords, power strip & duct tape go under the lid; and adaptors, short patch cords, pens, screwdriver, mini flashlight, batteries, business cards, kazoos etc. go in the little mesh pockets.

Unzip it around the outside, lay it out flat, and everything is right there and easy to see. Fill it up, fold the two halves back together and zip it up and you're ready to pack and load.

Any luggage store or big chain store should have some.