1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identify this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvilVOG, Dec 22, 2011.

1. About 15 years ago when my Grandfather passed, we immediately moved my Grandmother out of the Detroit neighborhood they lived in. In clearing out the house my Uncle gave his guitar collection to me. It included 2 guitars and a bass. One of the guitars was a Silvertone 1457, the other took a long time to figure out. I only recently fully nailed it down as a Zim Gar.

And that brings us to the bass, that i have been unable to completely identify. It's stamped Japan on the Neck gasket, i'm not sure if the finish is original, but i have seen other ones (also unidentified) in similar 60's era colors. Measures 23" from Nut to bridge, and has 19 frets. I was told it was sold by Sears.

[​IMG]

2. That's an easy one. What we're looking at is a messy bathroom.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Looks like an old Teisco or something. Extremely short scale, maybe made for a child?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sold by Sears generally = Silvertone brand.

5. Sears sold at least 6 different brands. Most were the same actual manufacturer, but many different brands none the less. The only thing i'm sure of is it's not a Silvertone or Danelectro. They were better at marking their stuff, and alot more prolific. If it were a Silvertone it wouldn't be this hard to ID.

I've been thinking Teisco too, but that's the brand with a dozen different sub-brands like Zim gar, kay, kimberly, Guyatone... Which one? And then trying to put a value on something like this.

Actually sounds pretty good considering. Just wish i could find an E string that works better. Regular E's are just too fat for the tail.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I'd guess a Teisco too. They were famous for having that bar across the headstock acting like a string tree. Second guess would be a Kay after they started importing.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it has the exact same pickup and tuning keys as my St. George, which i belive was made by the same company as tiesco.

8. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    It was definitely made in the Tiesco factory. There were a ton of "brands" made their. The fact that it is completely painted makes it hard to ID because most of the Tiesco made basses were in a tobacco or natural stain.

Either way, super short scale bass. I'd love it for sure...

9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Cool to see!

10. Howzit

Howzit

Aug 23, 2011
    Pella, IA
    Looks Teisco/Kawai to me. Not as ornate as a Teisco so I'm guessing soon after Kawai bought Teisco.

11. Yeah, may never get this one figured out.

12. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    You know, this brings up an interesting question. Why can't we get a source in Japan that can identify these manufacturing histories? We have all the information that we need on Gibson and Fender. Someone who is alive in Japan must have some pretty good knowledge on this. Is there anyone still alive over there who worked in any of those Japanese companies? They could probably make a killing on a book deal. Maybe the documentation does not exist, but at least some insider opinions on these things could work as an authoritative resource.

13. brainhat

brainhat

Dec 28, 2011
    I had this bass as a teenager. It was a Zim-Gar. Mine was red, but the bridge, the tail piece and the tuning pegs are unmistakable. Being so short, it had poor sustain, but it also sounded kind of tuba-like. I used it for many years before passing it on to someone else. -Kevin

14. It's a [instert random japan guitar company here]!

:bag: