Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identifying Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minimalist, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Today I've seen an Ibanez Soundgear. They said it's an 885 but AFAIK the 885 has soapbars. It looks pretty much like this one on ebay. Asking price was $350 but Ithink I can get them down to $250.

Does anybody know if the 885 was made without soapbars and the vari-mideq?

2. The 885 may have soapbars now, but originally it had J style pickups and a 2-band EQ like the one in the auction. The 885 is actually one of the earlier Ibanez 5-string models, and was the first Soundgear 5-string, back in the mid-to-late 80's or so.

Mike

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I just sold mine a couple weeks ago but it looked like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mine was a 92 or 93

4. Thanks Mike, so with a vari-mid eq and the J-style pickups it's either an SR05 or the eq was replaced?

5. With that contoured body shape it looks more like a 1000-something..

6. The pickups and electronics have changed gradually over the years, so you can't necessarily count on any specific setup--it could easily have the J-style pickups AND the Vari-mid EQ and still be original.

I don't remember the "SR05" number, but I think the numbering scheme was different at first as Luis mentioned, and I don't recall specifically what it was. As you can see from cb's 885, the body is a little flatter and the countouring different from the auction bass.

Mike

7. Thanks again Mike. When I get paid I'll try to get it. From all I know it'll serve my purpose well and it sounds like a good deal.