1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could only have one bass, would it be a Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Jun 26, 2019.

1. A P bass of some sort

434 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Not a P bass

560 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. I know I'm going to get whopped for this in the comments, but I really want some stats, as it's something I have been intrigued by for some time. Please answer the poll, and have fun in the replies if you want to.

FWIW, I will be answering P bass.

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    After putting a Jazz spec'd neck on my MIM P, I'd say it's definitely moved up the list...

... it's hard to narrow it down to one, or another...

... if the situation existed where we all found ourselves limited to just one, basses would soon be labeled contraband...

Prison yard, somewhere in... Toledo...

Inmate 7972: Hey, man... I know what you got.

Inmate 0908: What are you talking about now?

Inmate 7972: The lime green P bass... your significant other got it past the guards, in a sheet cake.

Inmate 0908: You're crazy. What makes you think there was anything in the cake, let alone a lime green P bass?

Inmate 7972: The sheet cake was four feet long, and almost entirely surrounded by bubble wrap... even Cake Boss would have been proud.

Inmate 0908: Alright, busted! But, I'm still innocent! Whaddya got?

Inmate 7972: A Kubicki XFactor... and a carton of Twinkies.

Inmate 0908: Serious? A Kubicki, for a P? And a carton of Twinkies? What's the expiration date on them?

Inmate 7972: Doesn't matter... the Twinkies are yours, cause I like you... the Kubicki is going to the guard, who let the lime green P, 'slip by'.

Inmate 0908: Such a weird economy... I hope I get it, soon.

Inmate 7972: Oh, don't worry... you will. Not my problem, though... I'm up for early release, and the lime P is going to come in handy... I got a gig lined up, in a week, with my Baskin Robbins tribute band.

csp, timplog, jackn1202 and 30 others like this.
  3. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Nope. Don’t like Fenders but I’d get another Kubicki in a heartbeat ;)

4. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Probably.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've owned a P bass since 1969 and up until 2003 I'd have been very happy with only a P bass.

Since then I've broadened my outlook. It's Jazz basses, or one particular jazz bass, for me from now on.

6. If I didn't already own an Ibanez, I'd gladly play the ubiquitous P-bass.

DanGR, chadface and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    My "P bass of some sort" is a TMB30 30" PJ with a Fender Original and no J pickup.

fermata likes this.
  8. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    "If you could only have one bass, would it be a Precision?"

Maybe. After a little initial experimentation, I had only one bass for 12 years — a Precision.

Since then I’ve added more, but after switching mainly to a Mustang for a while, these days I’m mainly back on my old Precision. However, these two changes (to Mustang, then back to Precision) were/are largely due to the storage locations of the 2 basses in question and where I spent/spend the majority of my time — the two basses live many hundreds of miles apart and have actually never met each other!

Anyway, if I had to go back to only having one bass, I’m not sure whether it would be the Mustang or the Precision. My ear leans slightly Precision, but my front left shoulder says Mustang :D Either of those two would do though

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You mean instead of the basses I consider better?
    Don't get me wrong, I've owned several, but one isn't on my list of future basses.
    I own four basses, not one P or J among them, and my next bass sure won't be a Precision, maybe not my next two...unless you count an SB-2T.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Andy :)

Gotcha! :hyper::hyper::hyper: :laugh:

And here we go, for our weekly "P - Bass vs everything else poll" :laugh:

You are lucky! I ran out of "dead horse" pics weeks ago.

And the Monty Python "Dead Parrot gif"? I already posted that one last week. :D

Can we have a "carrots" option? (a poll without is invalid!)

so far so good

[​IMG]

Hi Spidey :)

Good compromise! :D

Last Week somebody posted: "P bass players go to heaven."

I answered: "True! And Jazz bass players go where they want!" :D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

JimChjones, csp, timplog and 11 others like this.
  12. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Yes!

13. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder SUSPENDED

Sep 27, 2018
    I have several basses and none of them is a Precision. Why bother with that old thing?

Dabndug and Gizmot like this.
  14. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    It would be a Stu Hamm urge bass

15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

I like the sound of a Precision, but I've yet to come across a P that I am comfortable playing. On the other hand, Jazz basses fit me like a glove. So I went for the best of both worlds: had 3 of my Jazzes's pick ups hooked up so I can get them either in series or parallel at the pull of a knob, giving me a P-ishy sound as an option. The Aeraodyne has a PJ configuration. Tone-wise, I can cover a lot of ground...

csp, Btone, br1qbat and 1 other person like this.
  16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Only one bass? It has to be a 5 HS, pasive/active. Lakland 5502 or any other similar bass.

scuzzy likes this.
  17. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    Never had an actual Fender(or Squier) Precision bass. I had a B.C. Rich Warlock with a P-type pickup, and an Ibanez P/J; both sounded good, so I expect I could manage just fine with the setup. TBH, I kinda really like Peaveys with VFL pickups. I've had this one since early 2012:
    64576777_10213575134680906_7214550085156208640_o.

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Lol!

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  19. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    THIS is what replaced my P-bass of 25+ years

CA701676-BBCE-419B-AC88-43DDAE29F996.

20. P bass, J neck. Only thing I cant decide on is colors!