1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could spend 600 at sweetwater.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobaSeth, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BobaSeth

BobaSeth

Apr 30, 2016
    what would you get, and why? Just curious more than anything.
    For those that didn't see my other thread I've got an sr805 that has issues, I can either return it to sweetwater and have 600 dollars to spend there. Or I can send it to ibanez and have it fixed. Like to keep my options open.
    What would you guys get in that price range? Not much in stock .
    Ibanez SR305, sr 405
    Yammie TRBX 305
    Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
    Throw in an extra 30 and get an esp ltd b-5e?

2. Probably a fender standard p bass in Black with an all maple neck. They don’t really have any attractive 5 strings in that price range.

3. BobaSeth

BobaSeth

Apr 30, 2016
    I've been thinkng the same thing

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    LPB P w/ Maple.

bobba66, kwdhsk and Crusher47 like this.
  5. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Mustang bass

detoxxx, loki2772, bobba66 and 6 others like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Epi t bird, Mustang, Ibanez Artcore all would be nice.

BobaSeth and mobdirt like this.
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If those replacement five stringers are your only choices, none of them. Either go for the repair or consider what 4 string options you have.
    I have the Yamaha TRBX305 and also the Schecter Stiletto 5, I've owned several Ibanez SR300 4 string basses and I've owned the ESP Ltd. Those basses are not on the same level as the SR805. I personally wouldn't use the credit for basses that are compromises and can be bought cheaply used if you really wanted them. Heck, I know I got a great deal on my TRBX305 for $80 but truth be told, I would take the Ibanez over it anyday. The TRBX505 would probably be a fairer comparison. The Schecter is nice because of the tight B string being a 35" scale but still, it's not in the same class. I would probably compare the SR805 more to the Schecter Stiletto Studio V.

I actually bought my Schecter Deluxe V and TRBX305 at the same time a couple of months ago. The Deluxe is pretty much the same bass as the Extreme but doesn't have the fancy fretmarkers. I bought these two basses used for $230.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Reedt2000 and Roberto Nunez like this.
  8. BobaSeth

BobaSeth

Apr 30, 2016
    really wish they had a 5 string thunderbird

Ghastly likes this.
  9. BobaSeth

BobaSeth

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks Max,
    I appreciate the advice. I'm not into 4's anymore, so I definitely won't be getting one.

Maxdusty likes this.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    No problem - I have to mention, I have nothing against those 5 string options, they're great for their price range, I like my two recent 5 string basses, I really do but my expectations are tempered by the prices these basses go for even new.
    As viable and equal alternatives to an SR805, perhaps not.

Now $600 for even a used SR805 isn't bad at all (I think they even go for more than that used - a quick google shows used prices for similar basses at way above that) so maybe even with the "dings" Ibanez mentioned, it'll still be a great value.

pudgychef, Spidey2112 and BobaSeth like this.
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    To be perfectly honest; my answer would have to be - nothing. Why? I looked at their website just now, and for lefties (I'm a lefty), there aren't many choices. A few way-under $600 choices, but my Alembic won't let those in the house. There are a few choices around $600, but I don't need any Jazz Basses, or 5-string/active/both basses. And, everything else is way more expensive. If I wanted to spend $600 or so for a brand-new bass, I'd be looking at the Eastwood site. Or at Danelectros...;)

Ghastly and mobdirt like this.
  12. I wonder why you picked that website, Not a particular great website to navigate through and it doesn't have all the prices visible from the start. You have to open a million pages to see all the prices of every product.

Anyhow, I would probably buy a few EHX effects :) ... because EHX rules.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. GIBrat51

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Talk to Carlo, the owner of Cataldo Basses. He'll be happy to make you one. Or an 8-string, or a 12-string.. they won't be neck thrus, but more than a few folks on the Thunderbird Club forum here have one of his basses; he posts there pretty regularly, too (Dadagoboi). The consensus there is that Carlos' basses are pretty much the cat's ass...pretty reasonable prices, too...:thumbsup:

14. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Id get this and still have 150 bucks
    AlphaOmega-xlarge.

15. BobaSeth

BobaSeth

Apr 30, 2016
    I picked that website because it's the only place I have a credit card for that my ex didn't run into the ground.

16. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Many thanks for the shout out I haven't built anything that costs less than $1500 in quite a while. I also do build neck throughs, here's one:

LNCj9wD.

...and Fivers with a ThunderBird influence

mUg3cpz.

mobdirt, IngloriousOz, eJake and 7 others like this.
  17. GIBrat51

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I know, but if he's Jonesin' for a 5-string "Bird, he's gotta know they won't come cheap.. and, why aren't those on your website... now I'm Jonesin'...;)

18. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota