1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm banning myself from using the first five frets

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Seriously I have a major bad habit of sticking to the first five frets.

So I'm banning myself from using them. I might play decently now.

2. DRay521

DRay521

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I'm actually going the opposite direction. I tend to play alot of solos in the upper register, so I'm trying to keep everything in the low end and play less. It's kind of a challenge in a progressive jazz trio, but I like it. All my time spent climbing into the attic only to move back to the basement. Oh well.:D

3. I've got 24 frets....they're there for a reason...

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There's no money to be made above the 5th fret.

5. I actually started doing that for reading music since its so easy to stay in the first five frets...It helps you learn how to get somewhere quicker in the higher notes (6 n higher)

6. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    It's not a bad habit to stay down there, but you should still be able to use the rest of the fretboard. If you feel like you can't do that, work on it, but still use the bottom five.

7. What I'm planning to do...

Tell that to Peter Hook who mostly plays above 12th fret.

8. Contra(Band)

Contra(Band)

Apr 11, 2008
    Do that, and you may as well play guitar or baritone...

9. I used to do this when I first started playing. I would only go above the 5th fret when I wanted to play a little run or something. I've now learned that I can pretty much play anywhere I want since I've learned the fretboard a little better. The lower 5 frets were my comfort zone. I knew exactly where I was at down there but now I've become accustomed to playing anywhere and everywhere. I get tons of compliments on how I use the entire fretboard.

I'd say do it. It will discipline you to learn all the notes and where to find them. You'll realize that the fretboard isn't that hard to learn. It's the all same notes down in the lower 5 frets, just spread out.

10. Thats too bad, theres no fun to be made below it.

11. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Say goodbye to playing in bands...

12. Yeah, well....there is so little guitar in New Order songs that someone needs to give it something melodic.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I guess that would depend on how much power your amp puts out. Low notes + big watts = big fun. And pooped pants.

14. Epic!

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    LOLZ

This thread made me think of "Bombtrack". Good song. Both "main" riffs are in the top 5 frets almost completely IIRC. At least the way I play it.

And it sounds/feels good. If its wrong.... I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT

:ninja:

16. :D

The first five frets are evil...

17. I'm doing the opposite, trying to stay lower consistently, and use more open strings. I tend to default to the E and A strings, and then climb the neck to get higher notes. I've always liked the sound of a 7th fret A String E, rather than on 2nd fret D string. Just seems to have more presence.

I'm spending more time working the D & G, so I become more comfortable there, and not having to switch position so much.

18. I just feel I'm not using the bass properly...

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    1st five frets last five whos cares. If it fits your music and your style do it. Why set rules or program your mind to change something that works?
    I play where i need to play a song for comfort on the fretboard and sometimes for a feel..notes are notes right ;)

One of the best local giging bassist i have ever seen was at a summer concert a few years back. He played in the first 5 frets all night had the best fretting handwork i have ever seen live. I latter found out thru the bands website (motown) he was a longtime nationally known player. The guy killed in the 1-5 fret range.

20. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    The tone is different at different parts of the neck. That's the reason to move around. Try it and listen for the difference.