1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm banning myself from using the first five frets

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

+1!!

And nothing good ever happens above the 7th.

2. I'm gonna say this again....

Peter Hook plays at the 12th fret and he rocks.

3. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Learn the whole fret board and how to move around it, then play where you feel at home. I personally don't like open strings for some reason, so I generally hang out between frets 3 and 9.

4. That's the plan...

5. Having picked up double bass this summer I can tell you that you'd better stay familiar with playing open strings. You know what one result is of that? Less shifting.

6. Open strings are annoying...

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Nothing beats the open D downtuned from E IMO. Even the open B (or A if downtuned) has nothing on that note. So deep and tasty. Thick and juicy.

[​IMG]

Ugh.... Im never gonna be a vegetarian at this rate :oops:

8. ...until you play double bass. Relearning to use them is annoying.;)

9. I spend a lot of time between 7 and 12... :atoz:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But that's when he is playing "lead bass" - so often what happens in New Order is that they will have a programmed, synth bass holding down the low end.

If not it would sound "weedy" and "tinny"....;)

As to open strings - it is all about learning proper technique - a big part of that is muting strings.

Many lines are really hard to play without using open strings and you can get great sounds when you "bounce" off them! :)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pretty much essential if playing something sounding like 2 separate parts-'up high' & 'down low' ("Liberty City" by Jaco) and for drones ("Gutter Cat" by Alice Cooper).

Jamerson, anyone?

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Moving on from one restriction to another. Very nice.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Like I said! :bag:

14. I play a little cello so I know....

True, true

It's called 'wanting to know the fretboard better'...

15. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Good God why?

Decide what you want to hear and adapt it to your bass.

16. :spit:
    :ninja:

The bassist Albrecht knows best Re own personal playing habits etc., and the first soon-to-be-historic "restriction" of playing in the bone-rattling five-fret region is usually self-imposed by bassists who are either just starting out or who for whatever reason like it up there (often w/the guitarists' slyly colluding wink). Either way, it's clearly time to move on for our bassist colleague here (Albrecht) and in order to do so, there is a need to break a deeply-ingrained habit. It seems clear that the abstension from those five frets will be temporary. It appears to me that Albrecht has no intention of turning the abstension into a habit. Ergo, you're comparing the proverbial B strings to, well, G strings and the veritable bottom falls right out of your logic utilised in the above-quoted lines you employed to scold Albrecht roughly, rather smugly ("very nice"). Let the person master the fretboard and then the good old five will come right on back into the mix: Hasn't this goal been made clear by the player? Everyone learns differently; how dare any of us tell another player what works? Precisely. Get it? Very nice.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    When I started out playing I usually played between the 5th and 12th frets of all the strings. Now that I'm a better player by far, I still do the same thing, but I like hitting huge sounding fills within the first 5 frets.

The highest fret I hit when I normally play these days is the third fret. One day, I will reach the top. One day...

18. There's money in this?:hyper:

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Not for us...:rollno:

20. If you take your amp apart, you will find diamonds. That's where the money is.

Really, on the average, there's very little money in this. But it sure is fun. Bass can buy you fun that doesn't leave you with a hangover or, worse, an STD etc. Bass is good.