1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm curious...Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scubaduba, Oct 21, 2010.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Is it just me or have there been a whole lot of older Peaveys popping up in the For Sale forum lately. Why?

2. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Because people want to buy other secondhand gear at recession prices and need more room in their basements?

I'm happy, cause sooner or later I'm going to find a TL5 I like and nab it.

3. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Because they are cool and people don't realize their supreme value.

4. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Because people are starting to realize that Rics are actually almost attainable for a working man now, so they trade in and trade up. I would. Rics are the best.

5. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    They're awesome?
    I've noticed prices going up lately, perhaps people are selling them for the cash seeing the trend. Plus times are hard. I got a '92 Foundation 5 with maple fret I've been thinking of selling. I adore the sound and feel of this bass yet hate 5 strings. I sold off my collection in 2004 and kept my Peavey Foundation over a '81 Yamaha BB1002, '90 Rickenbacker 4003s5 and a '80 Guild B301. I bought a '94 Foundation 4 string last week so I finally have my Peavey as a 4. And Peavey made a ton of USA made models besides the Foundation that were great sounding and really well made.

6. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I agree Peavey basses are probably one of the best under rated basses. I owned a black Dyna bass years ago and wish I wouldn't have sold it.

It just seems like all of a sudden old Dynas TL's Foundations etc. are popping up.

7. I think that since Peaveys are still at such low prices considering their quality, that many Peavey players realize they can buy and trade without fear of losing their shirts. They keep buying until they settle on the ones they truly like, then frequently sell off the others.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

These are just opinions.

OPINION 1 - PRICING
    I believe you're seeing a ton come out now that prices have doubled in the last 12 months on many models.... a year ago we could buy patriots in the case for $75.

Now that they're commanding $200-250 (for a good one), people are starting to pull them out. I'd get notes last year "should I sell - my reply was "do you really need $75?"

Pricing is still below the real vaue

OPINION 2 - Nostalgia
    I'm starting to notice more guys who had one a kid that remembered the bass and the horrid stuff they did to them. Since that time, they have played lesser quality higher priced basses and wonder why they beat up the Peaveys so much. They're going back to try them again.

OPINION 3 - Setup
    Peaveys were well setup from the factory.. they included a tool kit.. tuners were expensive (and didn't work well for bass)... it wasw common for kids to dork up the bridge and neck then tune it high.

I'm noticing that folks who touch a USA Peavey are going "wow.. if I'd only known mine could have played this well"

OPINION 4 - COLLECTORS
    There are a combination of Fender, Schecter and Peavey collectors snapping these up for their collections. They're relatively inexpensive, so makes sense at this time - many times it complements the story on their collection.

OPINION 5 - Made in USA
    The pricing is going up as USA production is ceasing. There are more buyers noticing that most Fury can be setup to play/outplay most average Pbasses... both are made in USA... few basses still are.

OPINION 6 - Investment
    Peavey USA stuff is one of the few basses right now that actually has an investment return potential. It's likely if you bought a Foundation for $150 this year, you could find a $200 buyer for it next year. I can't say the same about my botiques or F word basses.

OPINION 7 - Image
    20 years ago, folks would have giggled when I pulled out a USA Peavey. Cirrus kind of "revalued" the brand. I have more requests now to bring a Cirrus/Millenium than I do for a Pb or J...... The only gear I get more requests for are the freak instruments. Many guys buying them don't care (anymore) what band mates say/think.. the reality is that guitarists well know the Firenza, T60, Wolfie, Imapact, Vandenburg etc.. ... I know of a few custom shop tele guys who have asked how to locate a REactor.

Overall, if someone were interested, this is your time to try one out. There are some great values out there - they will not be this cheap forever... the good ones are getting snapped up.

Tim

9. MNAirHead

I'd differ...

I'm getting more notes from folks selling a Highway 1 and buying 2 Fury.. one for flats, one for rounds.. possibly another in BEAD.. cash in 1 and get 3..

Peavey folks tend to be like cat ladies -- I know of at least 50 folks who own 10-50 of them.

10. I have another theory, and this doesn't sit with just Peavey.

When you see someone selling a certain brand, and it shows interest from the TB community, other owners of said brand see a possible market for that brand and pop them onto the Classifieds. Happens with everything from Alembic to Zon.

11. You may be right, you pretty much just described me, except I won't let my old Fenders go either.

12. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I currently have 10 basses. 5 of them are US Peaveys. And 2 of the non-Peaveys are for sale.

And I have 2 cats.

LMAO!! :D

13. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Scubaduba, I agree with your observation. Further, it seems to me that, of the older Peaveys (i.e. not Cirruses), they are mostly the lower-end models. Furys, Foundations, and the like. Not very many TL-Fives, G-Basses, G-Vs, or B-Quads.

My theory is that lots of people keep seing threads like this where people are going on about how great those older US Peaveys are and so it has stimulated a market of buyers who want to try these supposedly great basses that are cheap. I think a lot of folks are buying them, trying them, and then either selling them because they don't like them THAT much, or selling them because they do like them and now they want to upgrade and try a higher-end model Peavey.

I know at least one fellow TB'er who has now been through a T40, a Foundation, and a G-Bass, at least, liked them, but has sold them, now has a Millennium 5 and a B-Quad, and really wants to get a Cirrus 5.

If I could just find a clean, magenta B-Quad 5, my GAS would be cured. For at least 2 weeks. :D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So you know where 500 to 2,500 Peaveys are.

15. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    My peavey obsession started with an early t-40.
    Loved it, but it was entirely too heavy for the tiny strap I was using back then.
    I've got a really wide one now....what a difference. :)
    ...but I sold it to get a 5 string. :(

I'd like to find a nice (lighter) Sunburst or black one.
    The T-40 is such a great sounding instrument.

Then I got into the T-60 guitars.....liked them a lot too, but the nut width was too narrow for my giant hands. :(

Took a chance on a USA Millennium 5 and have been happy with it ever since I changed the strings (had it for almost 2 years with the strings it came with....thought it was "dull" sounding). The strings made all of the difference. I'd like to try some SS strings.
    Amazing construction, pretty much any tone you could want, and very easy on the eyes.

I just picked up that Foundation 5. I can only imagine it is of the same quality.

The funniest thing about Peavey instruments is that everyone automatically assumes they're cheap.

Most people wouldn't be caught dead with them on stage.

16. I like my T-40, but it's not my BB. Now that I have another BB on the way, I'll be selling my T-40... It's a cool bass though. I just don't "need" it.

17. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Is the TB community big enough in the overall scheme of nationwide or worldwide bass buyers to actually do this?

18. MNAirHead

If there was any valueable reason, I could probably count 2500.. would take a few days and some emails.

I know of a few backline companies that have at least 100

Tim

19. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'm playing my first ever bass gig tonight. I'm using my MPG Level 5 for most of the songs. But, I'll have my Peavey G-V in Black Holo-flake on stage, too, and I'm switching to it for one song. Mostly just to show my Peavey love. :D And a little bit because I think it's a little more appropriate tone (very clean) for this one song that has kind of a country ballad sound to it.

20. Yes, I believe the...what... 15,000 members here are probably a sizable chunk of the U.S. bass playing market.