Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Finally In a Band!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by spyingcracker, Oct 11, 2004.

1. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    I've been playing bass for about 7 months now, but haven't been in a band before. I've just jammed occasionally with my friend, who plays guitar. Two days ago, I went to my friend's house, and another guy I know that plays drums, guitar, and bass is over there. They want to jam, so the bass/drum/guitar player brought over his bass and amp for me to use, while they both played on guitar to a keyboard drum machine. Anyway, he mentions that his "hardcore" band broke up because they got tired of all the distortion and vocal-chord tearing. I went home a few hours later and the guy that plays guitar calls me. I answer the phone, and he tells me that they were looking to start up a new band that will play blues and rock, and asked if I would play bass for them. He said that they had wanted to hear me play to see how well I could do in a band. So, he will play rhythm guitar, harmonica, and piano/keyboard, Mr. bass/drum/guitarplayerman will play lead guitar, I will play bass, and we got a drummer that used to go to my church! For some songs I may switch out with the other guy that plays bass and play some keyboard or something. We are going to begin practicing as soon as the guitar guy's football season is over, which is in about two weeks. :bassist:

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That's awesome Cracker! I really wish you guys the best of luck. I've been in a few bands but never for more than a few weeks :scowl: . It just seems to always fall apart like a house of cards (egos, laziness, different tastes). I'm somewhat in awe of you guys who can actually make it work.

After I graduate and move out of my parents house (2nd quarter of 05) I'm gonna stop holding out for my dream band (people who have the same tastes as me) cuz it's never gonna happen and just make due with the best I can find. I'm just gonna look for some people who want to start a classic rock cover band and hopefully evolve into an all original band from there.

Again, congratulations :) .

3. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    well, from what I read you're not in a band yet but congrats man. you'll learn a hell of a lot faster now.

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Congrats!! Being in a band is one of the best experiences in life. Have fun, and keep the egos to a low hum...

5. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Yeah, I'm technically not in a band yet, but I'm sure things will come together quickly once we start practicing together. Egos shouldn't be a problem, because we all know each other really well, except the drummer, who I knew a few years ago.

6. Way to go man i'm in pretty much the same boat and i did what squid is talking about... i was waiting for that perfect band just to come by and pick me up and take me on tour as their bassist and realized that wouldn't happen because i really had no reputation or contacts so i found a guy living around me that plays music that i can tolerate and we're getting together now to try to put something together and who knows maybe it'll work out and maybe it won't but either way i'm making contacts for future use.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    congrats bro - have fun, don't take it too seriously, but try to make it work. I started late (at age 16) and got into a band the next year (we're actually having our reunification "tour" next year). After 19 years i'm still playing. :D

8. Nice one!! I play in a band, and I have done ever since I started playing. It really does help you to learn your instrument quickly. As the others have said, don't take it too seriously, and don't let it go to your head. Practice at least once a week with the guys, and practice yourself as much as you can.

9. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    +1

Most importantly, have fun!

10. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    well, i finally have a date. :hyper:

11. And I finally sprouted some pubic hair. :hyper:

Good luck with your 1st band, Cracker.

12. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Sorry for not updating earlier, but I've been busy lately. We've had two practices so far, and they all were absolutely awesome. We already put together a set list. Drummer is more than competent, and the guitarists are awesome. We need us a keys player though, because the rhythm guitarist isn't very good at keys, as he admits. My dad stayed one practice to listen to us, and he said we were much better than our church band that had been playing for over a year together! :cool: And now I see what you guys mean by learning much more quickly. I feel like I've learned twice as much in the last two weeks as I have in the last three months!

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

How long till your parents disown you???

:D

14. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    and i served all the aces. game, set & match. sry for hijacking.

15. That's great that youré in a band
    Now you can look forward to the fun part of being in a band
    PERFORMING
    Remember not to get overly excited when a hot chick is checking you out
    Although I've been guilty of that sin myself :D

16. Ice Cold

Ice Cold

Oct 31, 2004
    Awesome! nothing is better than the first time you say "i cant come to dinner,Ma. Not until our guitarist gets the intro right!!!"

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's going to get only better from here! Now work that set up and get gigging! :cool:

18. Congrats dude,playing in a band(especially with great friends/musicians) is just a dream come true...like others said,good luck,and have fun!

19. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I think it's time to give Dad your GAS list. Christmas is just around the corner. ;)