Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IM LOST! suggestions for my rig?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by garrett, Sep 10, 2004.

1. garrett

garrett

Sep 10, 2004
    I am new to this whole amplifying double bass thing. I have a realist pickup running through a trace elliot 350 watt head into a 4x10 cab. Not enough volume before things start to feed back. I also sanded my own adjustable bridge, maybe I don't have enough even pressure on the pickup? I am very ignorant of sound equipment so type slowly please. Thank you very much for any suggestions.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Acoustic instruments feed back; unlike instruments with magnetic pickups (and even semi-hollow basses with mag pickups will, too), you can't stand in front of the amp and expect to get higher volumes. Speaker placement and a lot of other factors play into the achievable volume levels. Also, a Realist-equipped bass is likely to feed back more readily than some of the other pickups available.

There's a lot to learn, and a single message can't tell you everything-- check past threads to learn more about the topic. There's a very useful search function on the board.

3. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    i have been trying something different recently, with good results.

i have been running 2 pickups. one is a pierre josephs magnetic (never ever feeds back) and also a barcus berry peizo on the bridge.

when "ins" on the mixing board permit, it has been a nice combo of sounds. the electro mag (while not really picking up any of the "wood" tones) get a good focused tone and the piezo get the nuance and woody sounds.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You'll probably want to reverse the polarity of your amp's signal. Since it's a mono source, the listener won't hear any difference, but your acoustic bass and the amp will be 180 degrees out of phase with each other, so it won't feed back.

The easiest way would be to buy a second speaker cable. Reverse the white and black wires of ONE end of the cable, make sure you label the cable as "inverted," and then use it for the amp with your acoustic bass.

This is commonly done with stage monitors for acoustic instruments. You won't hear any difference, except that the feedback will go away.

5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    If it's a loud rock-type gig situation, a Pierre Josephs pick up will help a lot (no feedback). I did a Barenaked Ladies-type band for a couple years and the P.J. pickup worked great. Not the best for Jazz or other styles of music where it needs to sound like an upright, though. The P.J. sounds more like a fretless electric than an upright. I have a Fishman Full Circle as well as a clip-on condenser mic for getting a better sound in lower volume situations.

One more thing, a preamp may help you get a little more volume before feedback.

6. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    First of all I never really dug the sound of trace elliot for DB. I feel the same way about SVT's, Eden, and SWR. They seem to be more tuned for EB. (I love these for EB). If you could get your hands on a GK, they're a relatively cheap good sounding all around rig .Of course there are more expensive options. Also, Sometimes a 4x10 cab can be not as focused of a sound for DB especially in the low end (too much). I think 2x10 or 1x12 would help.
    Also, I've tried the Fishman full circle, BP100. underwood, shertler, Barbera,Pierre Joseph,Wilson, Gage and am currently using a pickup the World set up. Of all of these the Barbera (expensive! w/too much alteration for good but not great PU), Wilson (same deal), and the Pierre Joseph (I did not dig it- too electric sounding) are the most feedback resistant. I think the Gage sounds good, probably the best of all I've tried, but, the highs are not very present and I swear they deteriorate over time. I've talked to other guys who say after a couple of years they can't get anymore highs. Also It doesn't seem very practical for loud gigs, which I play alot of, because of feedback issue's (especially low mid feedback).I have the same problem with my current PU and the Full circle was just muddy on my bass (although I didn't try it flipped bridge side up because of more alterations). I heard the K&K bass is good and cheap and of course I'll have to try it.
    In an Ideal world we would all be playing in sensitive trio's with only the need of a RE20 mic and a little monitor but reality (and preservation of chops) require us to have a little backup. I hope this helps, Geoff

Thanks to the guy with the reversed phase suggestion. I never would have thought of it.

7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

As Bob stated where are you in relation to the amp? I have a realist and no feedback problems for me. I use a combo amp that is 120w so not super powerful, but I can crank it up in louder situations w/ out the feedback when needed.

8. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Another thing...how loud are you trying to get? What style of music are you playing and what's the format of the band?
    a.i. piano...drums....horns...guitar....?