1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Imitating cello

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shish, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didn't find such a topic although I don't believe I'm the only one on the quest for approximating sound of cello with a bass.

Here is my best attempt so far:

Anyone else has something to share?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. that sounds awesome! how did you get that sound?

3. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Ooh...I may need that. I definitely want to know how you managed that.

4. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The main part of this sound is 100% wet room reverb with 0 pre-delay and very short decay. I play on neck pick-up with highs rolled out on my bass. And the final twist is Copilot Android. It's a dirty-dirty ring mod, but it can sound as an overdrive with power starve and that's how I use it.

5. cst bass

cst bass

Jun 3, 2011
    thats really cool man.

6. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    I'd pay a lot of money to have that in a pedal. I'm guessing you used software?

7. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just Copilot Android and reverb from Line6 M5. Other reverbs work too, I tried it with Radical Red Reverberator and Blue Sky.

8. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
  9. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    which reverb on the M5 did you use? I've got to try this out

10. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Room. You want short decay for that sound since you don't need reverb itself, you just need to kill the attack.

11. Lukejt

Lukejt

May 24, 2008
    Maryland
    Way cool.

12. That sounds amazing. It loses a little of its authenticity on a long decay, but who the hell cares when it sounds so great on the attack.

Thank you and I will be stealing that. :)

13. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    This sounds amazing! Thanks Shish...

14. WildMidwest

WildMidwest

Mar 11, 2013
    Sorry to throw mud, but as a cello player I think you've got a ways to go with that sound. The abrupt note termination is definitely un-cello like. Perhaps a longer sustain and an octave-up? (I'm an electronic noob, so I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly what to do to mimic horsehair bowing on a real cello.) I wonder how your effect would work bowed on a standup bass, again with a good octave-up processor?

For those who want to throw money around, a cheap cello off CraigsList + The Realist pickup works wonders. Of course, there's the price of years of cello lessons. Cello is not the easiest instrument to master. Can't say I'm there after 40 years of trying.

15. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That's plenty accurate enough to be effective in a mix. I've never heard anyone come even close to that. Very well done!!!

16. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Here is a guitar example. Don't know if it would sound more or less convincing on bass...

17. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    Nice job man,

I found that the Auto Volume Echo on my M5 can do a passable job.While it does not really replicate the timbre it still fills the space where a cello part is nicley

18. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I use my Roland GR-55 for any instrument or synth sound you could imagine (including cello)

19. WildMidwest

WildMidwest

Mar 11, 2013
  20. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I understand about note termination, I don't think I can do anything about it. And I can't play long notes this way, bass just doesn't have enough sustain for that. Trying e-bow would be interesting, it's still on my list to buy some day.
    I don't understand why do you suggesting octave up. I thought I played in cello register.
    I didn't have a goal of getting exact cello sound out of my bass, I don't think it's possible. I consider this thread as an example of using pedals in a fun and somewhat unexpected way (I've never seen anybody doing that at least).

And I want to thank everybody for comments and good words :)