1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In-ears question

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TheDialog, Mar 16, 2009.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Hey Jus,
    I play venues that usually hold between 500 and 5,000 people and am looking to get in-ears so that I don't have to rely on just my 2 8x10's that are usually a good distance behind me. I have never been a huge fan of hearing a ton of bass in my wedge and would rather hear a ton of vocals and lead guitar in my wedge. I would love to have a nice mix in my ears of the bass, guitar and vocals and am ready to buy a system. May I have some recommendations please, if you use them of course.

Hope all is well!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't really know much about them. I have always been supplied with in-ears by either Beck or NIN. Beck was dual-driver Shures. Worked/sounded great. Now, I'm using three-driver Westones. Equally good, no complaints.

I think the transmitter/receiver rigs are Sennheiser. It all seems good to me.

Not sure what else to tell you, I'm not really a good source of info.

JMJ

3. rappy007

rappy007

Mar 17, 2009
    Boise, ID
    I'm using Klipsch dual drivers with a Shure PSM 200 system. If I were to do it all over again, I would get the Sennheiser system that's used in NIN or the Shure PSM 400 or above for their stereo capability. They do take some time to get used to unless you get in-ears with ambient sound capabilities.
    Keep in mind there's a lot more that goes into an in-ear monitor system than just the in-ears themselves plus the transmitter/receivers. You're pretty much looking into how the PA is connected which varies from venue to venue unless your group supplies the PA of course. Soundmen where I come from rarely allow me to integrate my in-ears with their PA, even with advanced noticed. Like wedge mixes, in-ears mixes are at the mercy of the soundman unless you have a nice Aviom system.

4. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I was looking to get either the PSM 200 or 400. My singer just bought the 200 and loves them. Whole new ball game on stage. He said the clarity kills any wedge and his vocals have been spot on. With some huge shows coming up including festivals with a few thousand people I want something that will be reliable and provide realistic versions of what is being pushed out. I'm going to get a few I guess and try them. Thank you for the advice. I'm gonna grab the Sen. and the Shure PSM 400 and test them both.

5. Do you ever notice the cable-noise(hitting your clothes etc.) direct into your ear when dancing around and rocking out during the show?

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Not I, no.

7. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so do you use in-ears with backline? Can you feel the bass on a huge stage then too? Do you just turn down the in ear mix so you can get a mix of in ear sound and stage sound? I got a set of shure dual drivers on order. is it possible to get custom molds with those somewhere? and what is a good brand?

keep rockin'. and happy belated birthday

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I use in-ears along with backline, yes. A luxurious concept, but the best of both worlds. I get the push of air, a little bass fill-in, and detail from the ears.

I don't know where to get custom molds, but I think most audiologists do that. Good brands - I'm ignorant there, sorry.

9. Hey Justin, I am just curious to know if you can hear all the instruments,vocals,etc in your monitors or Like Steve Harris of Iron Maiden do you prefer just to hear the drums,your bass and your vocals in your in-ear monitors?

Thanks

10. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Everything. Somewhat of a balanced picture.