1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In need of aggressive bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Willstonez, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Willstonez

Willstonez

Jan 24, 2012
    Wisconsin
    So I played a Kramer DMZ 5000 with an aluminum neck (DiMarzio PJ pickups) recently and loved it since it's super aggressive, but I found myself really wishing it had 24 frets.
    Can anyone recommend some basses that I could consider? I just need some aggression in my life since my Spector Legend can't seem to dish it out.

THANKS!

2. I'd say half the solution is the P/J pups - what's your budget?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Bongo. BOOM!

4. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    +1, and the other half is a TonePump.
    I'd say get a different Spector, probably a Euro.
    Doesn't get much more aggressive than that.

5. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    I agree with both above statements. I have a fender p special with Dimarzio PJ setup that is super aggressive. Also I have a SBMM that is super aggressive. Neither have 24 frets though.

I would suggest looking at PJ basses that have 24 frets. Then replace with dimarzios. But only If it needs a pup replacement.

6. A Euro 4LX was what I was thinking in my head, too. If the OP lives in the US he can probably pick one up second hand for a decent price.

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    [​IMG]
    Someone ask for me?

8. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    He Shoots, HE SCORES!!!!!!

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep.

Other choices to consider would be:
    Warwick Streamer S1
    Warwick Thumb
    G&L L2K
    EBMM Sterling

10. Willstonez

Willstonez

Jan 24, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I'm pretty low on cash, but I'm 100% planning on getting a used bass here. I'm looking at 600-700 TOPS.

So the 4LX is where it's at for some aggression? I had a NS2A from like 87 with PJ and I hated it. But, I will definitely check this thing out. And yes I live in the US.

11. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    The build is different between the NS2A and the 4LX.
    I have a 5LX with TW pickups and even then, there's more growl than I know what to do with...and I love it. :hyper:
    It could've been that your NS2A had the Haz copy in it. I've never had experience with the Haz copy, but the TonePump is supposed to be a much snarly-er preamp.
    Sometimes ebay and craigslist have really good offers on used 4LXs and I know there's a lot on here recently that are priced pretty fairly.
    The 'Wicks also have their own growly personality and can be had for slightly cheaper (I think), so there's that.

12. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    My Warwick Corvette is very aggressive. So much so that I don't even play it that often anymore. You can get a used one for under $700 if you look around. It should satisfy.

13. Willstonez

Willstonez

Jan 24, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Right, mine was also probably made in Korea.
    I gotcha, yeah it also had Spector branded pickups on it.
    I will definitely keep my eyes open on that. And yeah, I can agree with the cheaper on that. I'll keep my eyes open for like a Streamer Stage 1.

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    StingRay or Rickenbacker with rounds!

15. For that kind of money you could easily get a 'wick Corvette, not too sure what the local used prices are for a Euro 4LX are. If possible, try as many P/J active basses as you can before you commit to buy.

I know this is subjective, but what exactly do you mean by aggressive? Gritty low mids? Good bite when you dig in a little? I can't help but think of Flea's Spector tone on Mother's Milk when it comes to an aggressive, growly P/J tone.

16. Willstonez

Willstonez

Jan 24, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Really? Hmm I didn't even think of that. You trying to sell yours? ;)

17. Willstonez

Willstonez

Jan 24, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I am looking into that right now actually! Yeah, the only 4LXs I can find are like 1400 minimum. Totally.

Right. Both of those. Man I haven't listened to Mother's Milk in years...but I'd say yes. And kind of, almost overdriven sound, you know? But I'd say Mother's Milk is a good comparison that I didn't even think of!

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A used Stingray or Bongo will likely run you $800-1000. Not often found in the $700 range but you never know. A Corvette is really aggressive too.

19. Ya beat me to it.

Johnius, have you put some nice smooth flats on the Corvette? If not, give it a try. I use Daddario Chromes now but previously used the really nice Sadowsky Black larger gauge SS flats. I'm actually thinking about giving either Rotosound 77's or GHS Precision flats a try.

It may tame some of that aggression for you and get you back using a pretty versatile bass.

Phasing switches in the up direction tend to P-Bass the sound out a bit. centered seem most jazz like and down is the full Monty.

20. Spector Euro 4LX or Rebop 4 could be had for around $850 if you find the right person to buy it off of.