1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In the studio with my StringCharger

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flowinowen, Nov 1, 2013.

1. I bought a Pierre Joseph's String Charger about a year ago and have been loving it. It's got that nice smooth 70's sound I wanted (my favorite players are James Jamerson and NHOP). I finally got to record with it in the studio last week and some interesting things happened with it. First, the dry signal, when compared with the mic signal (we used a Shure bass drum mic, I believe the Beta52a??) looked almost fully compressed. Secondly, I have a line I play similar to Jamerson's octave work. When watching the volume meters, they would sometimes peak at opposite times. The engineer, who was also a bass player, was not happy with this. I don't have a screen shot or the raw sessions yet but I hoped someone could shed some light on this? Has anyone had this happen with a magnetic pickup and is there a way to fix what transients it picks up?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Magnetic pickups will be more compressed than a mike, nature of the beast.

As far as the peaks, I'm not sure what you are describing but either it sounds OK or it doesn't (as opposed to what the meters or waveforms look like). In the digital recording age it seems engineers spend more time looking than listening :help:

3. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    what you are describing is a different response from two transducers. the behavior is normal since they are two completely different air to voltage converters. the "delay" effect varies with frequency so you can try to observe that at different frequencies.

ofcourse, you can hear the difference.

4. Don't worry about the waveforms that much. Trust your ears. Use a goniometer to check phase on your primary channel and verify the attack is positive so the bass sound doesn't destruct any instruments in the mix. Next, add the secondary track and phase invert it to see what sounds better.

5. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    WORD!!