1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Increasing string spacing from 16.25mm to 16.5mm

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Palta_Bass, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Palta_Bass

Palta_Bass

Mar 29, 2018
    Hi! As the title says, i want to know that if is possible to increase string spacing on a bass guitar? I have a Samick Artist Series 97' MIK and I want to upgrade the bridge, but I don't find a 16.25mm one, so I'm thinking about getting a 16.5mm one. Would I have problems? The nut is 45mm height, so I think that I have neck space to do it. Sorry for my poopy english:(

2. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    You can adjust saddles with Hipshot A style and I'm pretty much sure you can get 16.25 spacing with it.
    But even 16.5 should work fine IMO.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You are talking about spacing the strings another 1.25mm apart. so each out side string would move .625 mm towards the edge of the neck AT THE BRIDGE. It will be tight but I think you'll be okay.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yes. several manufacturers offer bridges which allow you to adjust/change string spacing to suit your playing preferences.

good luck! :thumbsup:

5. Palta_Bass

Palta_Bass

Mar 29, 2018
    If the string are not in the edge of the fretboard, It'll be fine hahaha.
    Btw, i think that I'm adding 1mm to the total (4 spaces between 5 strings)

6. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Even better, I had to assume 6 strings because I didn't know for sure.

7. Palta_Bass

Palta_Bass

Mar 29, 2018
    Okay! I'll be posting the process!
    I was thinking about buy a korean made bridge, that seems like Hipshot A (I don't want to invest too much money on it, cause' i don't have it)

8. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Have you checked the Hipshot D? Isn't that the type you have now?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021